read this , it upset me

I mentioned the not-to-long-ago world record 1000 yd here not too long ago. I left out the fact that the group of less than 1.5" was in fact the 3rd group for the shooter in that match. First was 9.something", then 4.oranother" before the record breaker was recorded. Sad to say, two out of three of those groups might not have hit a hoof at that range, least not with all the shots...on purpose. That .300 Win Mag may not be up to the task. Of course it wasn't a Ruger so you just never know.
rolleyes.gif

If this discussion is about the same guy I think it is (dark hair, dark aviator glasses, deep voice)I would have to say that he seems to know as much about guns as New Yorks congressman Chuck Schumer. Something I have noticed about gun handlers I have also noticed about smokers. The people that have never held these items on a regular basis are apparent to those of us who do. Watching an actor hold a cigarette and the pack of smokes and a lighter all at the same time is comical. Watching this "gun show host" is like watching my 2 year old handle a spoon full of spaghetti.

What he says about anything gun related is scripted and he should thank his lucky stars that real shooters watch him at all.

As for the gun counter professionals (from either side of the counter) I have also heard the boasting. Just read my signature line.

That man I am quoting was 400 lbs if he weighed an ounce and stood about 5'6". He was wheezing so hard from his walk across the store to me that I thought he was going to pass out. He couldnt hold a rifle steady enough for an offhand shot at a docked battleship.

When I showed him the drops on a 30-06 at 1k (zeroed @ 500)he told me that the published data in the remington ammo catalog was a flat out lie. How could the drop at 1k be about 30 something feet? After all, he "shot a ton of deer at ranges like that".

I almost said "prove it" but as an employee of the sporting goods store that was not my place.

The .300 Win Mag ammo that I was using while in the service carried a 190 Sierra MK at 1,550 fps at 1,000 yards. I would imagine that any .38 Special would be more than proud to have so much energy at the muzzle (then it "blew-up" from the heavy "proof" load).

So much for exterior balistics. By the way, when is the last time anyone has heard of a 190 grain .38 Special cartridge launching such a bullet to 1,550 fps from the muzzle? Never, I think.

The .300 Win Mag can perform this way as the bullet crosses the 1,000 yard pits (given non-arctic cold conditions), with a very healthy "crack" in the air.

Cheers,

I was just scanning through an article in July's issue of Petersen's Hunting by Craig Boddington, "Seven Habits of Highly Successful Hunters" when I came across the section titled "Field Shooting Skill" where he discusses at what distance a shot is ethical and was happily surprised. What Boddington says is that "an ethical shot is a shot that you know, based on practice, experience and self-knowledge, you can place in the vital zone of the game that you are shooting at. You must keep your field shooting within your capabilities...." As much as I have read in magazines over the years, I cannot remember anyone else saying something like this, usually it is just the opposite. Hats off to Mr. Boddington for having the cojones to say this.

gone hunting again, i have read a few shooting magazines, only australian ones and the only sort of firld shooting advice i can find is very similar to that of Mr Boddington. I am somewhat surprised that people would give advice which is very dissimilar to that.

I think Clint said it best

"A man's got to know his limitations."

1000yd elk shot with my Ruger 300WM,
could I do it, yes,
would I do it, NO.

Got too much respect for the animal, and probly too little respect for my abilities
rolleyes.gif
Which in this case would be a good thing

Cheers
cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.