Re: BAT Action owners- question on field use

What reloader do you plan on using Kfrye? I almost went with 375 but do to bullet selection I didn't but reading what kirby has said about it makes me wonder if I should have. I know I won't be dissapointed with the 338 and when I get the 50AM I am sure I won't regret it either :).

ANy idea when yours will be done?

I have an antelope hunt in August in New Mexico and am hoping to take the 338 on it.

I have a 30378 wby that is being rebarreled as we speak with a 30" lijia and should be done in june so if not I will take it.

AJ how many rounds do you have down your 338 AM so far?

Loader wise, I will probably pick up either the Corbin or Walnut Hill to double as a swager to make cheap plinker bullets.

I will probably have it finished later this year/early next year. Wildcat bullets is working on the 385-400 gr bullets for the big 375 to improve on the SMK.

I was leaning toward the 338 until these came about.

I went with the 375 due to the limited bullet selection. That'll keep me from wearing it out as I'm doing with the 270 AM with all of the different bullet options except for the bullet that the cartridge was designed around. Happily that's over w/the resurrection of Wildcat Bullets.gun)

With only the 350 SMK available, at the moment, my tinkeritus will be limited to load the Kirby recommended load, including COL etc, the do the drop chart validation then go harvest somethin'.

I went with the 375 due to the limited bullet selection. That'll keep me from wearing it out as I'm doing with the 270 AM with all of the different bullet options except for the bullet that the cartridge was designed around. Happily that's over w/the resurrection of Wildcat Bullets.gun)

With only the 350 SMK available, at the moment, my tinkeritus will be limited to load the Kirby recommended load, including COL etc, the do the drop chart validation then go harvest somethin'.

Holy cow, Roy. That'll make a little bigger hole than the 270. You have to get in line behind my 338AX build, though. :D

I was going to but from the looks of that group on metal and the fact that it took two shooters to get'er done I didn't think it would meet the accuracy standards necessary for LR elk in Idaho at higher elevations........:D:D

Besides what would a fella feel like knowing that that group was shot by two different shooters during marginal lighting conditions and you couldn't replicate that group at 400 yards. Heck you'd wanna slit your wrists.......

No I didn't pick it up. I snagged the bat M and Pac-Nor barrel and 20 moa rail from Earl Fouraker, an A5 from TMR but had to go directly to Jewell for the trigger. Kirby already has the barrel action and stock. The trig will be there in a week or so.

I'll have to go directly to NF for the two sets of light rings. I'm wrangling with Weaver to be one of the first of the new weaver tacticals but I'm getting a bit queazy. The ol' Roy says I can get 2 weavers for one NF but the new Roy says "you're too ****'d old to want to take the risk an any hickup at all. The FFP and optics of my old weaver tactical is to die for and I've been informed (by weaver) that the new one is even better............. Horns of delema. :rolleyes:

"Horns of delema. :rolleyes:"

I wish I had your dilema! :D

Ahem...well..., come to think of it, I do! In talking to the head of the tactical product line at Leupold and begging unashamedly for an NF NPR1 like reticle for the Mark 4 series and 100 MOA travel in the high magnification Mark 4's, etc. (basically make a lightweight version of the NF, for crying out loud...! See, I'm really too whimpy to pack around the additional 10 oz. in the wilderness.) or I was gonna jump ship for an NF, I was given a taste of candy that I hope is for real and coming soon, but the commitments weren't particularly evident:

Mr. Denham, thank you for talking the time to give us your feedback. We are working on projects that I think you will be very happy with. We are not ready to release that information yet but it answers what you and many others just like you have been asking for.
Ray Brock
Product line manager
Leupold & Stevens
[email protected]

We'll see...

Leupy fans--email this guy and get them pointed in the right direction.

Aww...heck...maybe I should just man up and get a NF. :D

jmden
I talked with Sightron and put the same bug in there ear for them to come out with a MOA reticle in there S3 model. They are planning on coming out with new reticles this winter. If others contact them as well, we can only hope they come out with a MOA version like Nightforce.

Roy,
I always enjoy reading your posts. What a sense of humor. Are you going with a bottom safety trigger with that Bat M acyion ?
Also. why is there a need for 2 sets of rings with this caliber ?
I don't see others shooting these types of guns with 4 rings on the scope.

I want to see how the new Vortex Tacticals look I have heard good things but rt now will be going with the NF. Whatever is on top of the 338AM with be taking a beating :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.