Re: BAT Action owners- question on field use

kfrye

Guys,

I have a BAT M action to build a 375 Allen Magnum- but want to hear from BAT owners on their experiences on how the action worked in less than ideal (dusty/wet) conditions? Any issues that required maintenance beyond a thorough cleaning?

Thanks,
Ken

Nothing beyond cleaning. I heard of someone galling a bolt on a dirty rifle but I have never had a problem.

I have that action and have hunted with it for 2 years. My guns are not safe queens, I hunt with them and haul them around A LOT!

I've not had a single problem with my BAT (338 Allen Mag). I do have the spiral fluted bolt, which Kirby told me would help with keeping junk from jamming the bolt in the action.

At night, if it'sdirty, I just take the bolt out and wipe it down. I run a clean bore snake through it. I also run my bolt dry (no oil), because out here in the west, dust is the devil and I've had better luck running things completely dry and keeping an eye on the rust.

Hope this helps, I'll be interested in how your 375AM shoots (I'm sure it will be a tack driver).

AJ

Thanks AJ, I was hoping to hear back from you. I didn't figure that Kirby would be repeatedly using this action (especially out West) if they were very finicky under hunting conditions. Same goes for the guys at BAT selling them for field duty.

If all goes well, I might have the parts by late summer/early fall. Hopefully, the Wildcat Bullets will be finished up by then. I won't have a problem in allowing Kirby to make this rifle a tester for them.

The downside is I like the repeater version a lot. So I may make a 338AM sibling after this.

After seeing Kirby's results on other projects, I have no doubt of this rifles capability when finished.

Thanks AJ, I was hoping to hear back from you. I didn't figure that Kirby would be repeatedly using this action (especially out West) if they were very finicky under hunting conditions. Same goes for the guys at BAT selling them for field duty.

If all goes well, I might have the parts by late summer/early fall. Hopefully, the Wildcat Bullets will be finished up by then. I won't have a problem in allowing Kirby to make this rifle a tester for them.

The downside is I like the repeater version a lot. So I may make a 338AM sibling after this.

After seeing Kirby's results on other projects, I have no doubt of this rifles capability when finished.

Great,

Where are you located?

AJ

AJ,

I am in SW PA, either an hour South or East of Pittsburgh depending on work.

AJ,

After seeing your 338AM I ordered one from kirby last sept just like yours the only thing different was the stock color and not by much. Its good to know it holds up to the elements because like you I don't keep my guns in the safe. Anway I cant wait til its ready the barrel is in just waiting on stock and receiver shouldn't be much longer.

AJ,

After seeing your 338AM I ordered one from kirby last sept just like yours the only thing different was the stock color and not by much. Its good to know it holds up to the elements because like you I don't keep my guns in the safe. Anway I cant wait til its ready the barrel is in just waiting on stock and receiver shouldn't be much longer.

Wolffman,

If you ever want to talk about reloading for the 338AM, drop me a PM and we can talk on the phone. Although it's not terribly difficult, there are a few things that I've learned about dealing with such a large cartridge.

AJ

AJ,

Wolffman,

If you ordered the BAT M, it should be done. I ordered mine the second week of January and it was just completed with around 30 others.

I must say thanks to AJ, it helped me take the plunge.

Ken

Thanks AJ I will definitely be calling you as soon as the beast comes in I can't wait and will take any advice you have to give.

Kfrye this is what I ordered so hopefully its in and the stock should be ready soon.
I just keep telling myself good things come to those who wait.

BAT Model M 8.5x1.55" single shot receiver................................
BAT 40 moa rail base...............................................................
Rail and receiver converted for 6, 10-32 tpi tapred head bolts..........
Lilja or Krieger custom contour barrel...........................................
Barrel fluting if wanted................................................................
Barrel fitting and chambering.......................................................
APS "Painkiller" muzzle brake....................................................

Matte finish barreled receiver......................................................
Jewell trigger, BR model, installed and tuned...............................
McMillan A-5 Tactical stock.......................................................
Adjustable CP..........................................................................
APS pillar bedding(3 pillars).......................................................
Metal ADL trigger guard.............................................................
Bolt mounting kit.......................................................................
2 sets, NF Ultralight 30mm rings................................................
338 AM FL loading die set..

Kirby has been awesome this whole time and I have tried to refrain from sending emails about every 2 months or so cuz I feel like I'm bugging him but he responds and is always happy.

My next project after this will be the 50AM I believe.

I am surprised you don't have your action yet. I am still waiting on my A5. Still not sure which barrel to hang on mine yet.

What do you plan to use for a reloader?

The action could have come in in the past few weeks and I hope it has. I will be calling AJ and talking to him about the reloading but I have the RCBS Rock Chucker as of rt now. I plan on using the standard load with 300gr SMK I got 500 of them at a huge discount. If Berger comes out with a 300gr bullet I will try that too.

What AM do you have?

I'm building a 375. According to Kirby, some of the old Rockchucker can be switched to handle the 1 inch dies, it is just a tight fit to get the long case in there.

What reloader do you plan on using Kfrye? I almost went with 375 but do to bullet selection I didn't but reading what kirby has said about it makes me wonder if I should have. I know I won't be dissapointed with the 338 and when I get the 50AM I am sure I won't regret it either :).

ANy idea when yours will be done?

I have an antelope hunt in August in New Mexico and am hoping to take the 338 on it.

I have a 30378 wby that is being rebarreled as we speak with a 30" lijia and should be done in june so if not I will take it.

AJ how many rounds do you have down your 338 AM so far?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.