re-barrleing Tikka .270wsm

tikkat3270wsm

I am finally getting to re-barrel my Tikka, and i will be loading some Matrix 165gr .277's. What twist for the heavy bullets. Right now I am shooting 140's in a 1in 10, I was wondering if 1-8 would be better. Am thinking of a 4 groove. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Craig

P.S.
Will have the chance to shoot whistle pigs out past 600 here in Pa

I live in eastern Pa and the smith i will be using here is Superior Gunsmithing& Custom Shop LLC (610) 693-6004. Nice shop, Man is very easy to talk to, takes the time to answer any questions. Never felt rushed when talking on the phone or in the shop. E-mail is Www.superiorgunsmithing.com.
Good luck, let me know how you make out.
Craig

I have been looking at an 8 twist barrel myself from pac-nor for the same thing! Only in 270 win though. Keep us updated to know what you get and how well it works

I have a Brux 4 groove 8 twist ordered. After talking to one of the owners over there that is what I settled on. I like the thought of a cut rifled barrle and the service I got on the phone was great. I know Len uses Brux on his guns. Will let you know when the build is complete and post some pics.

I shoot the 300 wsm. one thing I would be concerned about with shooting the heavier bullets in the wsm is the loss of case capacity. With my 300, the heaviest I would go without having a long action is 185 grain - beyond that, I don't have the case capacity to get the velocity to make the heavier bullet give the advantage over the lighter ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.