RCBS prep center

Re: RCBS trim mate prep center
I made a brass holder out of rubber fuel hose to help me hold my 223 brass. It works great and is much easier to hold onto than the brass is. The fuel hose brass holder is larger and is easier to grip, the rubber really hangs onto the brass so you don't have to squeeze nearly as hard to keep the brass from spinning.
IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

I used 3/8" fuel hose and cut it about 3" long and then slice it twice down the center about 1-1/2" deep. So there are 4 slices halfway down the length of the hose.

Then I glued a wooden plug in the end without the slices so about 1/2 of the 223 Rem brass will be sticking out of the hose when you push the brass in against the wood stopper.

Then I wrapped electrician tape around the whole hose to keep the sliced end from separating.

I only use this brass holder when doing the primer pockets on military brass.
progress.gif

So I got the OK to buy the prep center but before I do I wanted feedback from the pros. I read the reveiws at cabelas and they werent all that good. Under powered, The reamer doesnt work well enough. As of know I use a cordless dewalt and hook up my different attachments to it. I like the idea of everything being in one spot though. My bench already gets enough clutter. Dont reply if you dont have one. I want actual results not Ive heard they work or not. :cool:

I noticed, while I was perusing some of these threads, that you were hesitant about purchasing the RCBS case prep center. I have a friend that reloads professionally and he showed me something, very interesting, that he did to his RCBS CN centers. I did it to mine and it really enhances it. I took a RCBS case neck deburring hand tool, cut it in half and glued it on top of each one of the deburring tools on the center with JB Weld. It works perfect and is so much more precise and cleaner than the flimbsy ones on the unit. If you don't have the ability to cut it in half, you can actually use two of them and glue each one on separately. I have the machining tools that allowed me to cut it and drill some out of the center the same diameter as the original deburring tools on the center.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.