RCBS ohaus scale question

shawnb

I have a chance to pick up the old ohaus rcbs brown 1010 scale. It says its it like new mint condition. What do you guys think of these scales? Im steering away from electronic scales. Its for a pretty cheap price also

I have an old Lyman, 66'-67' vintage. Been a lot of places with me, used A Lot, still accurate as the day I got it. It is a check for my electronics today.

I have a 10-10 and have had it for years. Also have an RCBS electronic scale with the powder dump etc...etc. Its a great scale also.

well thats unanimous haha. do you guys find it tedious using a balance beam? ive only ever used the rcbs 750 digital but my brother and dad kind of took that over.

Sometimes you gotta hate bidding sites (ebay)! Im pretty sure the seller had someone (or did it themself) bid up the scale. It started out at $10 and one guy bid on it every hour and now its at $80 i think.

Are they worth this much? A "vintage" rcbs ohaus 1010? It will also be about $35 for shipping for me on top of that.

Sometimes you gotta hate bidding sites (ebay)! Im pretty sure the seller had someone (or did it themself) bid up the scale. It started out at $10 and one guy bid on it every hour and now its at $80 i think.

Are they worth this much? A "vintage" rcbs ohaus 1010? It will also be about $35 for shipping for me on top of that.

Got to love those shipping charges:rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder if Larry Potterfield didn't model his shipping practices from ebay sellers.

I think at 80.00 I'd throw in the towel, but I'd keep looking, something will come up. I'd sell mine but in the back of ones head, what if there was no electricity someday.

I started out with the RCBS 505 scale but liked the 10-10 scale better so I bought one several years ago new for $110 plus tax and haven't looked back. I tried an electronic scale for a short time and it just wasn't for me. I trust my balance beam a lot more than an electronic gizmo. BTW, it seems like to me for what they are bidding on that old scale plus exorbitant shipping you would be better off just buying a new one.

I have consulted and assisted several people on the RCBS 1010 scales. They all liked the way they worked and the accuracy they get. The only problem I have ever had anyone call me about is getting everything mounted back on the base so the dust cover will snap on. The bar weight has to be in a certain place on the bar and the pan will only fit one way. Look at it close or take a picture of it as soon as you remove the dust cover. It is a little like putting a jig saw puzzle together. After the first time it get easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.