RCBS load ver 3.0

Frank7mm

I just installed rcbs load and have not figured out how to use it. I thought it would have alot of load data in it. When I try to open a cartridge it askes for velocitys from a the manual. For what it costs I shouldn't have to buy paperback manuals to access the data. If I am missing something please help.

I don't have that SW but looking it up on the internet, it looks to me like the data you want is in there. I assume you've read the manual that came with it? The manual might be in a PDF file on the CD.

Fitch

When I try to open a cartridge it askes for velocitys from a the manual
I don't really use RCBS.load for load data, but have it, and I'm not sure what you mean by "open a cartridge"
When I open it I get all cartridges in list form. I double click on a cartridge of interest, and if needed I 'Load data into memory' from a source(dbl clicked on). Then I get this:

There are resultant velocities for listed loads.
So what am I doing different?

I bought & use this program only for the imbedded CARTRIDGE DESIGNER, which is awesome(way better than QuickDesign). I use QuickLoad validated by Reloadersnest.com for load data.
The Rifle Section @ www.reloadersnest.com

I have been trying to use RCBS Load for years. It was written by Greg Musial and is an excellent program - IF - and I mean IF you can understand the documents that are supposed to help. Greg is brilliant, but he wrote these as though he was the one using them and not for customers to learn how to use the software. There is nothing intuitive about this software at all. If I do not use it for a few months I have to go back to square one. The posts are also correct about the load data, so old they are not worth using. RCBS has done nothing to help improve this software. They do provide excellent user assistance if you call and wait for 20 minutes to get a tech that knows it. Some of their techs will not even try to answer questions about it. It is very disappointing that RCBS will not spend just a little time and money to create useable instructions.
The cartridge designer can be nice, but I gave up on it after a few tries, the ability to construct user load files could be nice but is equally wacked to try and use.

Last edited:
The data is there from the other manuals you just have to call RCBS and pay them for the code to use them (open the files).

The data is there from the other manuals you just have to call RCBS and pay them for the code to use them (open the files).

Most (if not all) of the manuals available are old editions, I have not found a current one yet. Here is a link to the list available.
RCBS.Load software

The Hodgdon / IMR / Winchester data is over 8 years old, most others are one or two editions behind which usually means around 4 years or more. That would not be so bad except there have been a lot of new powders and bullets brought out in the last few years that are not in any of these manuals. Even ATK's (who owns RCBS, Alliant and Speer) Speer manual (#14) is not available and it was published 3 years ago. The available edition (#13) was published in 1998 - A lot has happened in those 12 years.

If you call RCBS, they recommend you use the CUD (Construct User Load Data) tool to bring in the data you want, but as you can tell from my posts I am not too smart and using that tool makes me feel like a trunk monkey. I have never been able to load and save a user file that contains the data I need.

For anyone else who has the intelligence and patience to try and use the software here is a link to Greg's site (GMDR.com) RCBS.Load software

I think Greg has developed a tool with great potential, my disappointment is that ATK / RCBS has reaped the profits, but have made no effort to use their resources to make this software user friendly or bring the load data up to date. Heck it is all in digital format now anyway and the fees are for copyright royalties, any company who publishes a load manual has nothing to lose by distributing the manual this way, no printing or distributing costs at all. Just a file transfer and possibly some parsing of the data (a one time activity) that will bring in pure profit. With the availability of computer savvy people today, getting the GUI (Graphical User Interface) to be a LOT more user friendly would not be that big of a deal. Greg's genius in the program behind the GUI would not be affected.

As I wrote RCBS has great tech support, the resident expert is John and he has the patience of Job.

Todays training identified that one of the major problem being encountered is Windows compatibility- especially Vista and Windows 7 (which I run)

The program must be run as an Administrator to function. Users Account Control Settings needed to be turned off for any file editing or creation. This fixed most of the issues I was having with the program failing to function when listing a wildcat cartridge in the data list, designing a cartridge or constructing user load data files.

Another important procedure, John had told me earlier, is to make sure your User Access Controls, Firewall and Anti-virus software are turned off when updating RCBS.Load. Then Update from the bottom of the list up. RCBS.Load first, then Helps and then Lists.

John also clarified why the reference data files are not able to be updated to recent editions. The concern is that criminals would share the data without paying the copyright fees if the data was available on the web as a download. New data files can only be made available when new software versions are published and the load data is included under the license protection of the software. Not an answer I like, but developing that data is not free and the companies need to recover their costs. My belief is that this security issue could be overcome rather easily if ATK would try.

ATK if you read this, give John a raise and put some money into this great product. Knowing John has input, along with Greg, into any new versions, I will surely buy the upgrade when it comes out (hopefully it is in the works).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.