RCBS gold medal comp dies

birddog67

i just go into reloading , i am loading 308 which i just bought the comp die set full resizing dies i also order the gold medal dies for my 300 ultra mag , it has where you can set the neck tension , so it tells me to measue a loaded bullet and the add 2 to 3 thousands and order that size then subtrac 2 or 3 thousands and order that neck sizing die , does this sound correct . and will this help with acurracy ?should i just use a factory round ?for my measurement

"...it tells me to measue a loaded bullet and the add 2 to 3 thousands and order that size then subtrac 2 or 3 thousands and order that neck sizing die , does this sound correct "

I don't quite know what to say ... you bought those very costly RCBS dies and now question if RCBS knows how to tell you the proper way to use them?

not really qustioning it , i was just wondering has any one used these dies . and should i order one or two thousand each way , like i siad i am new to reloading , and bought these dies thinking that i being able to adjust neck tension would help produce more accurate loads ?

"...bought these dies thinking that i being able to adjust neck tension would help produce more accurate loads ?"

The answer is maybe ... a little bit ... but not much. Much of what you read on the web about neck tension sounds great but is wrong in that the possible accuracy differences aren't great. Such things as neck tension are misleading tweaks; the potential differences are minute, they are quirky at best and, if done improperly, your accuracy can easily be reduced; few 'bushing' dies get sold for those reasons.

After all, conventional dies are quite good, as a new guy, you would be much better off to forget all that for now. BUT ... you do have the die so... get one bushing that's 3 or 4 thou less than the neck diameter of a loaded round and use the thing as a conventional sizer until you gain enough experience to understand what's going on. AFTER you learn to develop a good shooting reload and gain shooting accuracy yourself, then you should be ready to fool with neck tension but for now it's just a meaningless complication.

i just go into reloading , i am loading 308 which i just bought the comp die set full resizing dies i also order the gold medal dies for my 300 ultra mag , it has where you can set the neck tension , so it tells me to measue a loaded bullet and the add 2 to 3 thousands and order that size then subtrac 2 or 3 thousands and order that neck sizing die , does this sound correct . and will this help with acurracy ?should i just use a factory round ?for my measurement
Where in and what die instructions does it mention "to add 2 to 3 thousandths?" I don't see that anywhere in the manual for the Gold Medal dies. Please go back to them and find where it says that, then let me know.

I do know that the bushing for the Gold Medal dies you'll want to use will have a diameter 2 to 3 thousandths smaller than the neck of a loaded round, but that'll come later. You have to get cases to reload first before you can determine what size bushing to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.