RCBS going Chinese?

Yes, some of the blame is due to corporate greed. No one will or should have to work for a couple of bucks a day in this country the way they do in others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the jobs you listed fall under the SEIU label. These jobs obviously can't be shipped overseas, just like some other very big union corporations, YRC, UPS, ABF, etc. Although you could write a volume on why the auto industry collapsed like a shot duck, the unions played no small part. Don't believe me? Do a google search for the subject. GM laid off 1600 employees a while back, none were union. They get pampered; I have friends in various union jobs and they'll tell you that.
FYI, teachers in my school district are doing better than ok. They have a good pension and I have a list of all their salaries.
Unions have ran their course and are no longer part of the solution, but part of the problem.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if any parts of RCBS is unionized?

Last edited:
DWeller. I agree for the most part with "why the auto industry collapsed like a shot duck, the unions played no small part". It's been published before that the average American Auto has $1500.00 of additional sticker price just to cover Union pension plans etc which Foriegn Auto manufactures haven't accumulated over many years of bloted pensions etc. So no problem with what your saying there...I think it's ridiculous that a friend I know makes $31.00 an hour for GM to pull parts off the shelve, put them on a pallet so local dealerships can pick them up each day. Not to mention the outstanding pension and medical benefits he gets. Now that same job out in town non-union pays half that, no pension and a so so medical plan that cost the employee dearly. I think what unions like United Auto Workers have done is bit the hand that feeds them and are now starting to pay the price...too bad for them=Greed. On the otherhand as much as I don't like what the UAW has done, I think there's alot of blame for outsourcing to go around...not just the unions...that's all:). Hope you had a good Christmas.

back to RCBS, i don't use them anymore because of poor quality. The sizing dies are no longer chamfered (sp?) , the threads are very poorly doneon die body and adjustment rods, the lock nuts are not true (lapped) and I have to use a lead pellet under the cheesy set screw to maintain a tight grip. i use Hornady mostly now, or make my own.

back to RCBS, i don't use them anymore because of poor quality. The sizing dies are no longer chamfered (sp?) , the threads are very poorly doneon die body and adjustment rods, the lock nuts are not true (lapped) and I have to use a lead pellet under the cheesy set screw to maintain a tight grip. i use Hornady mostly now, or make my own.
I concur. There are some quality issues that I have noticed as well. Notably, the lock nuts, and that stupid brass set screw. I like Hornady dies as well, and especially their lock nut system. RCBS used to do that as I have some of their dies from the 60's and 70's.
I do know that when ATK took over, the quality control seemed to fade away. Shame.

Yes, some of the blame is due to corporate greed. No one will or should have to work for a couple of bucks a day in this country the way they do in others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the jobs you listed fall under the SEIU label. These jobs obviously can't be shipped overseas, just like some other very big union corporations, YRC, UPS, ABF, etc. Although you could write a volume on why the auto industry collapsed like a shot duck, the unions played no small part. Don't believe me? Do a google search for the subject. GM laid off 1600 employees a while back, none were union. They get pampered; I have friends in various union jobs and they'll tell you that.
FYI, teachers in my school district are doing better than ok. They have a good pension and I have a list of all their salaries.
Unions have ran their course and are no longer part of the solution, but part of the problem.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if any parts of RCBS is unionized?

I can find out from a contact at RCBS, that is if he already didn't quit! LOL!

1357Mag, who or what is ATK? Is that a person or some parent company, just curious.

Its easy to blame the Union workers who do all the work. What about the ceo's who do nothing but collect bonus's and bailouts.lightbulb

SWN, good point. In 1970, the average US CEO earned 28 times more than the average worker and we didn't outsource. Now the average US CEO is some 300% more than the average worker...and they tell us we need to outsource to stay competitive.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to agree with SWN. We got a new CEO about 2 yrs ago, first order of business was a 72% raise for himself, before he'd done anything to earn it. I've been there 23 yrs and over that time have seen my wage increase 31%, a far cry from 72% in one year.

Interestingly we work a ton of overtime between Oct and Feb, 10-12 hr days, 6 or 7 days a week. Ask anyone in managemet why and the first thing out of their mouth is "labor is the cheapest thing we pay for", not suprisingly you never hear that at contract time.

We are a union shop in a non right to work state so membership in not optional, you join or find a job elsewhere. Personally I think the union is run by a bunch of parasites. Have seen them do very little for the masses. On the other hand I can't fault them for at least wanting to keep their membership making a liveable wage, somebody besides upper management should.

Rant Off

Chris

How did the news about a 72% raise get out?...I'd think they'd want to keep that under raps.

They published it their annual report to shareholders, had to, quite a few employees own stock as part of their 401k or founders fund accounts. Really didn't sit very well.

Chris

When I heard 72% I thought for sure a privately held company. Publicly held company-OUCH!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.