RCBS Charge Master

D

daveosok

I received my RCBS Charge Master Powder dispenser the other day and finally used it today.

What a difference this thing is compared to the older version where the scale sat on the side of the powder dispenser.

OLD VERSION
The old scale and powder dispenser worked with the exception of the scale going bezerk every once and a while and after about 20 rounds showing error in the display window. It allowed me to seat a bullet between loads and wait a few seconds for the load to finish up. One thing I did not like about the old scale was if you let it sit for a few seconds it would second guess itself. This was in an environment where it was stable enough to not have wind effects so the scale needed improving.

The powder dispenser worked well and delivered great loads with the odd loads every 50 or so rounds hitting a number that wasn't even close to what I entered, or with extremely large powders such as H50BMG, H5010 it would drop loads every 4 to 5 then start messing up and require recalibration for powder.

I did not like the scale being on the side either, as many times, while trying to remove the powder pan you may hit the tubes and drop a few kernels of powder causing a change in weight. If the scale popped up with error on the screen it was a lengthy process to re-calibrate it.

NEW VERSION

The two units are connected together by way of a rail. The screws that hold both items together can be used to level the two items also but probably was not intended to serve this purpose but it does and quite well.

They have changed the whole set-up completely. 30 memory slots and the buttons have changed from protruding rubber buttons to covered push style like on some new calculators. The buttons are larger and easier to read and hit. It has an audible sound for buttons entered and when the powder has dispensed and reached its intended weight. This makes it nice if you're seating bullets you do not have to watch the thing.

You better be quick about seating the bullets too because this thing is fast. It however delivered 40 loads exactly 65.0 grains of H4831 in 14 minutes about 2 loads per minute.

The powder dispenser has only one tube and trickles using a jog method. I like this method better as the single tube cranks outs kernels of powder really fast right up to within 5 grains of so of targeted weight then slows down to within 1 to .5 grains and then jogs until weight has been met.
Many times the tube ran right up until it got to within 1 to .5 grains and then jogged. Some loads ran right up until correct load. No calibration is needed for different powders just pour and go easier than the old way. The dispenser has a chute tube on the right hand side that allows drainage of the powder once you're finished with it. I liked this feature it was quick and less likely to spill powder. The powder holder is clear and larger in diameter than the older version.

The scale must be calibrated but it is a lot faster, less than a minute compared to the older version of two to three minuets.

The scale also has more features on it and is easier to use and also reads out in its display full words not messed up numbers meant to mean letters.

I am extremely pleased and although the cost was $272 and some change from www.armsandammo.com it is well worth your money if you like this type of powder dispensing.

I ll bring you some brass powder and dies to see how well it does with 100+ grains of powder.

d-a

Just kidding got to much to pack!

Hi daveosok
Could you tell me if the Chargemaster sold in the USA is of dual voltage, i understand that your domestic supply is different to ours here in the UK.
We have 220-240volts at 50hz, i very much would like to buy a Chargemaster but i resent paying near on $650 to the greedy ***** who import these items into the UK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Ian, the one I just purchased is not dual voltage, but hey, why could'nt you use appropiate converter?I really Like mine , there is however, one problem that will really get your knickers in a twist! The powder reservoir is a loose fit.soooo if you go to take the cap off to put a charge back in or add powder some people's sticky hands might just lift the resevoir spilling powder all over cremation,not me of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif( yes ,me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)Untill I figure out a permanent solution ( like an o ring around the circumpherence 90% embedded in the resevoir) I will use a little scotch tape to prevent this in the future.Sorry they cost so dang much over there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Jim

Yeah you can get a international voltage one from here -----> Midway USA

D-A How was your flight? I saw a cat ****ing on your truck today while leaving tonight.

[ QUOTE ]
The powder reservoir is a loose fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for telling me that I will keep an eye out on it when removing the lid.

Jimm & daveosok,
Thanks for the information but alas Midway do not ship to the UK and we do not have an international dealer. There is still hope, i did not realise that the unit works off an AC adaptor, does it reduce the current down to 12v DC. If so i can use any adaptor that reduces the voltage from 240AC to 12 volts DC without any problems.
That would save me a heap of money if i bring one in from the USA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Ian,

Perhaps Bill Bailey would ship you one ,that is if he has access to them . I pourchased a scope through him and service was great.I imagine you would have to provide funds up front as I did . Does UPS ship worldwide? Hpoe you can get one as I am just beginning to realize how nice they are.

Jim

The flight was long saw the sun rise twice.It will probably monday before i have personal e-mail.

d-a

Centre

You still must deal with the mhz which are going to be 50 where you are. I am not sure how much this will affect the machine or not.
If you are good friends with anyone on here and trust them have the purchase the item for you and ship it to you.

D-A
Ok buddy take care and send me an email once you get one.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.