Rcbs 10-10

jpbaker

Hey guys, I purchased a RCBS 10-10 on ebay for $69.00. After I purchased it, the company that I bought it from said that it was missing the little brass pan that sits on top of the silver one. I told them this was not a problem as I had a pan that I could use.

I was going to used the lee pan off of my other scale.

They ended up refunding me $20.00 so i only have 50.00 in this thing, its in great condition by the way...

Now, I cannot get it to zero, I put it on a flat surface, set everything to zero and nothing.

Im wondering do I need that brass pan in order for it to zero?

I took the 500gr weight that comes with the scale and put it on the pan and it takes 107.3gr for it to zero. Im a bit confused, sup with this thing?

I realize that I can put weights under the sliver pan if it comes to that, but......

Any input would be appreciated.

TKS
JPB

"I realize that I can put weights under the sliver pan if it comes to that, but......"

That's the pan hanger and the little chamber under the screwed-on cover on the hanger bottom is for doing exactly that.

Take the screw out, then put the screw, the cover and all the little weights under the cover in your substitute Lee pan and set it on the pan hanger with the scale on a reasonably level surface. Put both poises at zero and turn the leveling screw so the body appears near level. THEN add or remove small weights in the pan until you obtain a near perfect zero (it's not necessary to be precisely zeroed at that point). Put all the weights under the hanger cover and replace the screw and you will be done. You will then be able to use the leveling screw to precisely zero the beam with nothing in the pan and you will be ready to go.

No matter what weights go under the pan holder's cover, it won't affect the accuracy of your weights at all, a beam scale only needs is to be balanced at zero. Then you can add powder to the pan and reset the poises until it balances again. The extended range weight won't be 500 gr., that's just the scale's extended range. The actual weight should be stamped on the brass top - mine is 260.9 gr. You can use that brass 'range extender' weight as a precision test weight, I'll bet that if your agate V block bearnings and the beam knives are clean, and the knife edges are un-burred, your scale will swing twice and stop dead on.

I'll bet that if your agate V block bearnings and the beam knives are clean, and the knife edges are un-burred, your scale will swing twice and stop dead on.

And so it does....very nice considering that my old scale took its time....:)

I was due to put in an order at midwayusa (shopping cart was getting pretty full).

I purchased the brass pan, for the scale.

I got it to zero this morning with no problems, had to add alot more weight, but it performs beautifully......

TKS for all the help,
JPB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.