Ranging with a scope

You can do it at any power setting...as long as you are aware of the reticle subtensions at that setting.

If I am remembering correctly, the NPR2 is 2moa vertical and 5 moa horizontal when on 22X. As Broz mentioned, there is a dot at 11X if you want to use twice that spacing.

The 5-22X versions work as advertised (for spacing and ranging) on 22X.
The 3-15X versions are supposed to be used on 15X.
But as mentioned above, any power works really; it's just that the spacing will change if you change the power.

JD,
Yes, we can range somewhat with a duplex reticle. We have to know the subtention or distance between crosshair and thick post at 100yds. We also have to know the size of the target and figure out on what power that particular target brackets the reticle at X distance............It does work, but not nearly as accurately as an moa reticle, and it relies on moving the power dial until the animal brackets just right in the reticle.

Using the Moa Reticle is simply size of target divided by how many minutes covered in scope..........15" antelope covers 5 minutes of reticle= antelope is roughly 300 yds away. (to be as precise as possible, we have to use 95% of 300, or 300-15=285 yds)

Ranging with the reticle works out to a certain distance so long as we know the correct size of the target. Laser range finders obviously work much better, and are much more precise; but it's always good to have a backup plan in case the rangefinder quits, or gets broken, or it's too foggy/rainy for it to work right.

The power setting is a suggestion. Slower bullets = lower power and faster bullets = higher power.

My Burris 4-16X44 is suggested at 14X for standard magnum cartridges. I use 12X with a heavy 7x57mm bullet.

You go to a range and determine the power setting by burning through a lot of ammo. Then you write that power setting on THAT ammo box.

I usually zero at 200 yards on the 200 yard mark. Whatever your AVERAGE shooting distance will be. 100 and 300+ yards should come out very close across the range of reticle marks when you get the right power.

Bullet BC makes almost no difference out to 300 yards with most centerfire cartridges.

You do not need to use standard 100, 200, 300, etc. as the reticle mark designation. Use what works best for your combo. I burn through lots of ammo at prairie dog towns. Stick shots and benchrest shots don't hit the same. Can't use benchrest settings for handheld field applications.

You will find that as the range gets further and the size of game varies, it is very difficult to get accurate yards past 500. I have a reticle that is 1/5 mils and a mil dot master w/ averge sizes Ihave taken off game I MEASURED , and was off 200 yrds this fall on a deer confirmed w/lazer. This was off a rock steady bipod rest. I did this throught the season and I am going to keep notes as a reference.One reason is the game is unknow size, and harder to read reticule at long distance. I have started a notebook of drawings, that I hunt regular w/yard Holds, for reference because we get alot of snow and fog and lazer is no good.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.