Rangefinding binoculars Leupold or Burris ?

ol mike

I'm thinking of trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I've wanted a better set of bino's and don't even own a rangefinder yet ,do any of you guys have or have friends who use rangefinding bino's.
I've always liked leupold and burris optics ,but there is nowhere near here where i could do a side by side comparison.
Longrange to me is 6-700 yards so i don't need a 2000 yd or even a 1500 yd just yet.Thanks for any info in advance. Mike

I tried them both and didn't care for either one. They both seemed excessively heavy and bulky. I also didn't care for the focus adjustments on either one. I ended up with a Nikon 800 Monarch rangefinder and my same 16x Bushnell binos. I love the Nikon. It is clear and fast. I have ranged a cow to over 600 yards. Haven't got to test it in the field yet.

Thanks Highcountry ,

I did some detailed reading on them both and it seems the glass is -so -so.
I like the nikon rangefinders the best so far ,thought it was funny you said that.I guess i'll stick with my old swift binos for now and decide on a rangefinder.
I was out in your neck of the woods about 3 weeks ago ,sure is a fine and relaxing place Wyoming. > Mike

Yes Wyo is nice, that's why they call it God's country. My team bought the Leupold LRF/Bino's----they are made in China, no kidding. I was a little upset about that
Justin

Yeah I love it here. Just spent a week elk hunting in the Bighorns. Got skunked, but it was still awesome. I bought a Leupold Wind River 15-45x60 spotter. At first I was like a kid w/ a new toy. But now I'm not so sure(it is made in china as well) It isn't worth a darn in low light. My 3-9 vari-xII does better than the spotter. Wish I had the extra to buy the gold rings.

Justinj,

Nope i didn't know they where built in china>> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif>>>I thought it was a ""LEUPOLD"".

Highcountry--I was in kaycee ,wy. and went into the bighorns myself ,wish i could have stayed longer i maybe could have ran into and went hunting with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
I've thought it over some and just plan on getting a set of zeiss conquest binos and a nikon rangefinder.Maybe someday an affordable bino/ranger with be available .Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Just spent a week elk hunting in the Bighorns.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just in area 38 last week for the opening of the season. We got one, but it was tough hunting. Too **** warm!
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe someday an affordable bino/ranger with be available .

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you consider affordable, but Newcon/Burris 7X40's are around $650 and I think you'd be very happy with them. I am. Give them a try before giving up--most places you buy allow returns in 30 days...try one out, see if you like it. If not send them back for a pair of binocs and a different rangefinder. I couldn't be happier with mine given their price is such a small fraction of the Geovids.

They will reach out to 1500 yds on large objects and deer/elk much farther than you're saying you need. I haven't compared them side-by-side, but from other users' reports I'd say their ranging capability is as good or better than the Leica 1200's.

Hell, for quite a bit less than the Geovids Newcon offers a 3KM version of the 7X40's with a built in compass. That thing must be incredible. Both of the LRB's I've had ranged right up to their advertised distances no problem and I'd be surprised if this thing didn't make it to 3 KM on large objects.

In short, there are affordable bino/rangefinder combos available. I have them, they work great. I'm not sure why more people here don't give them a chance--I think they're missing out. I absolutely love having the rangefinder combined with binocs and couldn't see ever going back.

I don't think I'd recommend the Leupold, just based on its specs--it must have a much wimpier laser than the 7X40's. Like the Bushnell's, a major limiting factor on those is using a separate (and much smaller) lense for the laser. 900 yds on big rocks and trees just doesn't cut it for me.

Give them a try before dismissing them since that's what you really want. You may be very glad you did.

JonA ,

Thanks for the info ,what i meant by affordable was real good glass plus quality rangefinder.The feeling i got was that the binos were so-so glass wise.
Thats a good tip on the 30 return policy ,nice safety net!
Just bought a 6.5 x 20 zeiss and hs precision stock for my 25-06 so i'll let the gun money build up a couple of weeks. Thanks again Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts