rangefinders

freebird63

I currently have a Lieca CRF1200 and I do like it but wished it woudl range farther. At the time I bought it I could only afford it and then read about a few problems people were having with their swarovski rangefinders. Well now Lieca has the CRF1600 and have only read a few reports. I am curious, out of the 3, Lieca CRF1200 & 1600 and Swarovski 1500, which one do people feel is the best one????

I am also looking at the Leica CRF1600 and am wondering if this unit gives you two yardages when ranging from an incline. I know it will show the angle of inclination but does it have a program that shows the new calculated yardage on the display? I hate having to do math when time is short. I am hoping that someone who owns one will provide the answer.
regards

Look into the new G7 BR2 rangefinder. This rangefinder is now in production and can range out past 2000yds. and also calculates windage hold, bullet BC, temp. Altitude, Humidity, incline/decline compensation, etc. This is the mother of all rangefinders! Their asking $1500 but will save you a ton of time using PDA's, etc. to calculate bullet drop, and wind correction... I'm on their list and can't wait to get mine! gseven - Home

As far as Leica vs Swarovski goes, I've read and heard that the Swarovski units will range the furthest. However, they have the largest laser beam also. This means at long distances we may be ranging the brush behind or in front of the target, instead of what we're really aiming at. For long range shooting, knowing the exact range of the true target is vital.

The Leica has a pretty small beam divergence so you can be fairly sure the reading is coming back from the intended target, and the new 1600 will range deer on sunny days at over 1000 yds with a steady rest.

I have an older LRF 1200, and the new 1600.........the 1600 will go about 200 yds further on small targets (tested them side/side for a few hours). Some of us had issues with the first 1600's that came out and had to send them back. Leica was really good about getting us new ones right away though.

It does not give two yardages on angled targets. It will give a correction value up to about 500 yds if you wish, but not designed for use further than that (on the correction value only). A different buttom must be pushed to get the angle to a target. It also gives the temp and local pressure (in psi) when that other buttom is pressed.

Thanks guys for the imput.
I checked out the G7 BR2 and will be ordering one as soon as they're released. The only question I had with the BR2 is whether it would store ballistic information for more than one rifle. It would really be great to be able to switch programs on the fly.

Thanks guys for the imput.
I checked out the G7 BR2 and will be ordering one as soon as they're released. The only question I had with the BR2 is whether it would store ballistic information for more than one rifle. It would really be great to be able to switch programs on the fly.

yes, you will be able to input up to 10 different bullet profiles .. Aaron Davidson thought this one out very well. I don't think it is missing anything.

It is suppose to handle 6 bullet profiles. I have seen no listed beam divergence or review. I have also seen them in current show with a Leica in use,goat or sheep episod?

I know the BR2 hasn't been released yet, but does anyone know if you have to imput rifle data to have the actual and incline yardages? It would seem complicated for those who wanted just the basic two yardages and would figure the rest in other ways.

I know the BR2 hasn't been released yet, but does anyone know if you have to imput rifle data to have the actual and incline yardages? It would seem complicated for those who wanted just the basic two yardages and would figure the rest in other ways.

No, it will display the corrected yardage for incline/decline distances. however it won't be able to give you bullet ballistic compensation without the data inputted. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks 805_sniper, this does help. This unit sounds perfect for people who want simple yardages as well as rifle specific yardages. From what I've heard here, it also has the option to include atmospheric conditions and calculate windage adjustment, if needed. Can't wait.

Thanks 805_sniper, this does help. This unit sounds perfect for people who want simple yardages as well as rifle specific yardages. From what I've heard here, it also has the option to include atmospheric conditions and calculate windage adjustment, if needed. Can't wait.
You do understand that that this RF will only give you corrected yardages to be used with a BDC type turret dont you? It is basically useless unles you have this turret on your scope.

Also, this RF has not been used in the field by average shooters and hunters. So far no one knows how well it will really works and under what conditions. Hope you don't end up with a $1500 paperweight.

-Mark

Last edited:
Yes, I have BDC turrets on my scopes. They'll be reviews as soon as it is released. I will be paying close attention to the press. I anticipate this device will do what it is advertized to, at this point. The RF is pricey but not in comparison to other units of similar capability. Hopefully, we can have this discussion again, once we have all the facts. It seems that everyone wants a quality 1000+ yd RF at an affordable price. This may be a start down that road.

Yes, I have BDC turrets on my scopes. They'll be reviews as soon as it is released. I will be paying close attention to the press. I anticipate this device will do what it is advertized to, at this point. The RF is pricey but not in comparison to other units of similar capability. Hopefully, we can have this discussion again, once we have all the facts. It seems that everyone wants a quality 1000+ yd RF at an affordable price. This may be a start down that road.

If it does all that it's supposed to do, it will be worth the price. But it's not much use to me since I don't use the BDC turrets and Aaron doesn't seem interested in developing an MOA version. Hopefully another company will fill the void fairly soon. In the meantime the CRF 1600 will range as far as I can shoot, and will give me angle, pressure and temp for a good price. Hope it works well for you. I would wait until there are some good, unbiased independent reviews.

-Mark

Your right about the price . The Leica is a great deal if you want the actual yardage and have time to calculate the corrected yardage for incline shots. Leica has been proven in the field and shown to work nicely. I was not aware that the BR2 only displayed the corrected yardage. I would think that it would display both actual and corrected like the Leupold does.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.