Swarovski:
Swarovski | Laser Guide Laser Rangefinder | 70002 | B&H Photo

Leica
Leica | Rangemaster CRF 1200-M Laser Rangefinder | 40527 | B&H

Kestrel 1000
Kestrel 1000 Wind Meter - Fast, Free Shipping

Kestrel 3500
Kestrel 3500, 3500 NV & 3500 DT Weather Meter - Fast Free Shipping

This website wouldn't work for me but that sounds like an awesome price if the site comes back up:
I like the Kestral as far as weather stations go and I found a good deal here:

Weather Instruments - Handheld and Portable

IIRC, I got the 4000 NV on sale for $169.00 a while back and it came with a Pelican case for another $6.00.

The Lecia range finder is my choice simply because I can't afford a Swaro right now.

Bob

I had a pair of the Zeiss and found it to be a very nice rangefinder. In low light conditions or on cloudy or light snow days the Zeiss would only get about 800 yards. I sold them and bought the Leica CRF 1200's.

I am very disapointed in the leica's. On nice days or partial cloud cover, I have ranged animals and trees past 1k.

On a Elk hunt 3 weeks ago, in light snow I was only able to range out to 250 yards. I had sold my Nikon 1200 to a friend and he was hitting tress out to 750 yards. The same thing happened on a guided deer hunt a couple days ago. We were glassing a bench all afternoon waiting for a big buck we had seen earlier. The Leica's failed miserably! (Wish I had kept the Zeiss)

We broke out the Newcom 3000 Pro and it did the job for us. The Newcoms are much larger than the other models and alot more pricey. I guess everyone has to way things out for there own individual needs. This Deer hunt was 6K, so the added cost for something that works in all conditions is money well spent. This is strictly my opinion of the three I have tried and owned.

sdkidaho,

I am only familar with the Newcom 3000 Pro. A friend has a set of these and after using them, I decided to give them a try. I think the glass is pretty darn good as well.

I have not heard good things about the smaller Newcoms but do not know for sure. I guess that is why I bought so many rangefinders :D trying to find something that works at longer ranges in all kinds of weather.

I never tried the Swaro's but most people really like them. Maybe I should have bought them first lightbulb

I ve had success with a Swaro on grass to some 1250 yds and trees to 1450 but has anybody tried the Vectronix PLRF 10c or 15c? supposed to be very good in low light but expensive.

Ziess has 4-5 models in bino/ range finder and a mono model? And how about the Leupold bino/rangefinder 9x power?

definately swaro. yes its more expensive but if you get it first it will save you buying 3 others only to end up there in time
d

I think the range you are going to shoot and your budget need to enter the equation. My budget is VERY tight, and with my abilities and my rifle I do not feel comfortable past 800 yards, so after a lot of research I decided to try the Bushnell Elite 1500 and I am very pleased with it. I have never used any other range finder so can not compare, but I can tell you that this unit will reliably range to well beyond my self-imposed 800 yard limit. The farthest I have ranged is 1380 yards to a small fir tree, it would not get a reading on a granite face right next to the tree, but the rock face was on the north side of a hill and looked to have some moss on it, maybe that's why.

1100 yards is common place to fir tree's, 900 to 1000 yards in rain light snow no problem, fog is a killer though, if I can make out some detail in the tree limbs it will usually range it but just a little more fog and it quits altogether, just shows something silly like 9 yards.

For my needs this unit is excellent, and I paid $233 used on eBay!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.