rangefinder w/ or w/out arc technology?

j_22250

i'm in the market for a rangefinder, but w/ todays economy money is a little tight right now. i'm looking at a scout 1000 arc, but i can proly get one without a little cheaper. in all honesty i'm gonna limit myself to about a 300yrd shot, but i don't want to get a false reading if i'm sitting on top a hill. i can range w/ my mil-dot scope, but i jst think the deer deserves me to be as accurate as possible w/ my ranging.(i proly really don't even need one i'm sighted in a 200 and drop like 6" at 300, but thats a different story)

how much will a rangefinder without arc tech. throw me off?

That will depend on your rifle and load but i would say ROUGHLY just to give you an idea, 2.5" less drop at 30 degree and 5.5" less drop at 45 degree slope that is going from a 200 yard zero to 300 yards(edit: from non arc rangefinder reading) and dialing in for 300.
You can run your bullet info at one of the many sights or ballistic software and get a much closer info.
Here is one ballistics site.

What are you shooting, do you know your bullet wieght and b.c and muzzle velocity?

Last edited:
i get that and thanks for replying. with my setup if a deer is 300 actuall yards away and i'm on hill shooting at a 30-45 deg. then i'll jst hold dead on. but what would the reading be from a rangefinder without a built in inclonometer?

320, 350, 400, low battery?

Last edited:
Hopefully it is just because of a low battery, it shouldnt give erratic readings just because its up or down hill.

Last edited:
what..... r u messing with me? i'm looking for opinions from somebody who has actually upgraded to a rangefinder with a built in inclinometer and that has noticed a difference in yardages from his/her favorite hunting spots.

Last edited:
Whatever man, now you edited your post so i cant bother to explain myself.
Figure it out for yourself

Huh, saw the original post asking about the difference in ranges. Seems pretty harsh to come back with a response like that after someone answers what was originally posted. Not sure you'll get the answer you were looking for now...........

sorry dropdead,

i didn't mean to come off as such a hard @$$. it's so hard to hear someones actuall tone of voice when they're typing online. my comments were meant in more of a joking type of way. but now it seems as though i'm the idiot and the one to blame for asking question in first place.

it just seems to me that you were trying to give me advise on ballistics and bullet drop based on your first post. then when i tried to further explain i got yet another stray answer.

i know how a rangfinder works and they should not give irradic readings. from what i hear they work good untill used on top of a hill then the readings are not as accurate to actuall distance of target.

i jst want to know if the target is 300 yards away then many yards will a rangfinder add if i'm on top of hill. Roughly, i know there is not an exact answer jst want to hear from someone that has been there.

leupoldanglex280.jpg

in all reality tho it would be cheaper for me to buy one with inclinometer than to buy both jst to figure this out for myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.