Rangefinder perferences

macker13

My 15 yr old son and I experienced our first P-Dog last year and are hooked. For our trip last year I borowed a laser range finder from a friend. However, now that we will be making this an annual father/son event I thougt I should buy my own rangefinder.

What brand and model to you use. What are the pros and cons about it.

Thanks for your insights!

There is so much info on here about RF's if you start to read it all you probably will miss your trip:D

To accuratly answer your question you need to supply more info.

Budget?

How far do you intend shoot?

If there is no limit on spending Buy a Vectronix PLRF10 and never look back. They have come down a bit in price and are now going for $3725.00

Jeff

Have used a Leica 900 for most of my hunting. Used this with a ballistic program
and shot it to confirm information on come-ups....

There is so much info on here about RF's if you start to read it all you probably will miss your trip:D

To accuratly answer your question you need to supply more info.

Budget?

How far do you intend shoot?

If there is no limit on spending Buy a Vectronix PLRF10 and never look back. They have come down a bit in price and are now going for $3725.00

Jeff

Yep, what he said....Vectronix is the best of the best. I've been using their products for about five years now. I have a PLRF10 for backup in case my Vector 21 stops working. They are very accurate, fast, powerful and have super high grade optics....

If you don't want to spend the $3700 for the BigV, the Leica 1200 and 1600 are a more affordable option. They won't range as far, so the real question is how far do you want/or are able to shoot on a PD?

I can get PD mounds out to about 800-850 with the Leica 1600 on bright sunny days. The Leica 1200 falls short of that by 100 to 200 yds, depending on the particular mound being ranged. The swarovski unit will probably beat the Leica's on big targets, but I kinda doubt that they would on small things. They've got a bigger beam, so the reading could very easily be coming from another mound in the distance, or one closer than you are trying to get.

The guys I've seen in the past that were shooting 1000-1500 yds had staked out distances ahead of time, because back in those days we didn't have rangefinders that would go very far at all.

Last edited:
My Leica 1200 would Range Pdog mounds out to about 900 Yards ( I've seen reports from 800 to 1100 Yards ) . There is some variability in all LRFs because the internal ranging components vary a little ....especially the Laser Diodes . If funds are tight , look for a used 1200 , they show up regularly . Just keep your eyes open and search . If you want more Range go with a Swarovski , that will take you out to 1600 yards Plus ! Be advised ....test the LRF ( especially for repeatability ) as soon as you get it . I've had quite a few duds before getting a good one . I would not expect to get that kind of Quality Control at these Cost Points , but I did . Another factor to consider is the Ranging Reticle ..... some do not like the Color ( if you have Color Blindness ) , and some don't care for the size and shape of the Reticle . Lastly , consider Ergonomics .....how it feels in your hand and how it triggers .

I just stepped outside and shot some barren ground at 1140-1150 yds (bare because the PD's ate all the grass!). Too far away to see individual mounds in the 7X or 8X rangefinder though.

Only point I am getting at is that sunlight seems to have a dramatic effect on the ranging ability. Last time I was out and getting only 800 readings, it was bright and sunny. Today it's cloudy and I am able to range much further.

ICAN , I think there must be something seriously wrong with your 1200 . My very old Tasco could do better than that ! Don't know about last night , but if you reran your Tests today , it was a very bright day in Upstate NY ....seems like for the first time in weeks . I always test my LRFs in those conditions because it's usually very bright on my Western Pdog hunts ....so much so , that I am always using the darkest Sunglasses I have . My poor old Eastern eyes arent used to that big yellow globe up in the sky . SBruce , you sure are lucky to be in prime Pdog Country .....I envy you !

Last edited:
ICAN , I think there must be something seriously wrong with your 1200 . My very old Tasco could do better than that ! Don't know about last night , but if you reran your Tests today , it was a very bright day in Upstate NY ....seems like for the first time in weeks . I always test my LRFs in those conditions because it's usually very bright on my Western Pdog hunts ....so much so , that I am always using the darkest Sunglasses I have . My poor old Eastern eyes arent used to that big yellow globe up in the sky . SBruce , you sure are lucky to be in prime Pdog Country .....I envy you !

ICANHITHIMMAN,

Send it in!!:)

No, seriously; do send it in. My 1200 always worked fine, but my first 1600 didn't do so well. I sent it in with a very long letter (including tests that I'd done) to Leica.......2 weeks later there was a brand new unit on the UPS truck. The second one seems to do what it should. In fact, today under cloudy skies, I got a distant grassy creek bank at 1637 twice out of 4 attempts...?

I wont tell you to try it on black angus cattle though, I can't range them on sunny days wortha ****! Not with the 12 or the 16, SAM I AM!!

I've heard on good authority that the BigV will however, and will at a very long range. If you want the best money can buy, apparently there is currently no equal to the Vectronix.

tulku,

Yes, it is truely grand, thank you. I too consider myself fortunate to live in/on prime LR shooting/hunting ground. I've probably fired somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 15,000 - 20,000 rounds at prarie dogs in my lifetime. Downside is (there's always a downside) that it's 90 miles by road to get a tire fixed if it's on the weekend. 40 miles by road to get groceries, beer or gas. At least 90 miles to buy ammo, guns or components. At least 90 miles to get your pickup worked on by someone that's really good, and 2 hours from any major medical facility. But I do live here by choice, and hope I never have to live the city life again. Cheers:D

Last edited:
I have a bushnell ARC and just bought the Swaro. The bushnell wouldn't get past 600 but has some really nice extra features. I had a really tough time decided between the leica and the Swaro. The leica has temp, altitude, and baro which would be very useful and is amazingly small. I went with the Swaro because the glass is good enough for quick looks and makes finding a target much easier. It also has a threaded mount for a tripod where the leica takes an extra adapter. If you are ranging far you will want to throw it on a tripod.

Just some things to consider.

Maybe I will send it in. Did you just box it up and mail it or did you call first? It is very inconsistant to say the least.

I sent an e-mail describing all the tests I'd done, and how miserably it failed them. All testing was done side/side with my older LRF 1200, which is no longer made/offered. I called too, the next day. She said "sent it back to us".

I just put it back into the original box, and sent it FedEx. The address and phone numbers and e-mail are in the instruction manual.

I didn't hear what the problem was, but they sent me a brand new one?, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Ican , don't feel bad about the Leica . My first variety Leica 1200 Scan was fine from the start . However , I had to send back two Swaros before I got a good one . There were no Swaro fixit facilities in the US ( when I bought it ) , they just kept sending me a new one . I would suggest you identify your Leica ( Serial No. etc . ) , so you know what you are getting in return .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.