Range results... Load for Alaskan Moose hunt finalized!

Jeff In TX

Spent the day at the range today working on the final load for my .308 for my upcoming moose hunt this Sept in Alaska.

This was the final load and group we settled on.
Barnes 168 Gr Triple Shock BTHP.
Load consisted of 45 grains of VarGet
Federal Cases
CCI LRP primers
Comp length 2.50 with rounds seated into the lands

When seated off the lands the groups steadily got worst. The closer to the lands the tighter the groups were.

This produced muzzle velocity of 2700 fps
Groups averaged in the mid .3's
RangePictures001.jpg
[/IMG]
RangePictures022.jpg
[/IMG]
smile.gif
wink.gif

Periodically, I mess around with the notoriously bad shooting X bullets.
wink.gif

So far only my 7mm-08 will shoot them into .75moa. Based on Barnes recommendation of loading their bullets .030"-.070" off of the rifling, I have never worked with X bullets loaded into the rifling.

I've just received a box of 140gr TSX bullets. If loading them off the rifling doesn't produce good results I'll give the crush fit a try.

Congrats on getting that .308 to shoot so well with the X bullet.

VH

I would trade a little accuracy for the sure fire knowledge that I could never leave bullet in the lands and get a mag full of powder. IMHO bullets in the lands has no place in a hunting rife ESPECIALY in a wilderness hunt of a lifetime trip.

Jeff, you couldn't get it group any better than that!!!

Only kidding. Great work!

I think those barnes are the deadlies bullet I ever used. Unfortunately I used the XLC's (Blue Meanies) in my 7 stw before the TSX came out. The 140 dropped the mulie and antelope like stones. But they grouped like crap. If I could get barnes to group like that I'd use 'em!

I may have to try them in my 338 lapua!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.