Range results .257 Weatherby/110 Accubond/RL 25

300winnie

I went to the range yesterday with high hopes of refining a load for my .300 Winnie and 180 grain Scirocco II's (See post on that topic if interested), and to try to find something that works in my .257 Weatherby.

I had tried to get the 100 grain Barnes TSX to shoot in that gun (as well as 100 grain partitions) with IMR 7828 and RL 22 with no luck. I decided to give the Nosler 110 grain Accubond a whirl with RL22 and RL25.

The target shown is what the gun did with 74 grains of RL25. The average velocity for the three shots shown was 3,524 fps. 73 grains of RL25 had a slightly larger group and was a full 100 fps slower...still nothing to sneeze at.

While I don't have pressue trace equipment, the 74 grain load showed no visible signs of pressure. I will have to check the primer pockets, but on the surface it appears that maybe I found a winner. I will be loading up some more to test for consistency.

The load consists of:

Winchester Brand 7mm Remington Magnum Brass formed through a .257 Weatherby die and fired, then PFL Resized for a "crush" fit.
Federal 215M Primers
Reloder 25 - 74 grains
Nosler 110 grain Accubond
Seated as far out as the magazine will allow

The rifle is a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe with 26" tube topped with a Leupold 3x9 Vari-X II

Temperature was in the high 80's when this group was fired.

DCP_1041.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.