Range report wth the 338 Bergers

Jim the Plumber17

:)I loaded the following on multi fired Lapua brass.
100.5 grains WC872 powder, Fed 215, 300 grain Berger. Loaded to 3.895"OAL so as to feed out of my Seekins mag. Bullets jumped .115"
A disclaimer, I suck shooting groups and as per usual, I pulled the crap out of the 3rd shot, low and left in the picture. Settled down and got the 4th one to go back in the group. The group shown was from from a bench at 100 yards off a bipod and a Redman tactical rear bag.
I then moved back to 950 yards, dialed up 26 moa from the 1 moa low 100 yard zero and kept the next 4 shots under moa at that range.
I then fired the last 2 rounds a steel at 585 yards and connected with both even tho all that was visible of the steel was a 5'x5' square. The 10x10"plate is obscured by sage brush about 5 yards in front of it, but I connected on both shots driving through the sage brush. A small sample for sure but very promising. I hope to get out to a mile tomorrow and will post up my findings then.
2qal6rr.jpg

fonaip.jpg

Last edited:
Great post. I learned two things for sure.

I'd better get some calipers what say Starrett on 'em as I measured the Hybrids at 1.797 with my Titans:rolleyes:.

Second, I'd better learn more about seating depth.

0.115" jump........I got lousy results with 101 gr US-869 in a RUM when just touching and jumping 0.040".

Didn't get a decent 200 yd group until I shoved the Hybrid a couple of thousands (I think :rolleyes:) into the rifling.

Did you try any other seating depths prior to settling on the 0.115 jump?

Jim do you by chance know how much freebore that rifle you're shooting has? Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like it has quite a bit if you're loading at 3.895 OAL and you still have .115 of jump. Not saying it's a bad thing just curious if you know how much it has.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.