Range Report: DPMS GII Bull

I just shot my G2 DPMS LR308 for the first time yesterday and was noticing cratered primers and some shearing/extractor marks on the brass. It was with several different factory loads. They way it was flinging the brass and from what I have read I think it might be too much gas. I ordered a Syrac Ord adjustable gas block for it. I"m hoping this will fix the problem.

8A3B9A13-16A8-4FD0-A226-08436AA4AC61_zpsoqhk1tzh.jpg

My son is sending his dpms upper back today.
DPMS says there is no problem with the cratering going on and it is due to a slight chamfer on the bolt face.
Like I posted before I have had an M16A2 blow up in my face and talked my son into sending his DPMS for a warranty repair of his bolt.
DPMS is good with that and told my son it would be about a 3 week turn around.
When the upper comes back I will report what was done and if it fixed the problem.

Hi folks, This is my first post in this forum and even though I don't have the money for lots of toys I try. I picked up a DPMS GII Bull 7.62x51 24" and surprised me how much it weighs. With a scope on it comes in at 12lbs. One thing thou, it don't kick. I'm just waiting for the temp to get below 95' so I shoot it more than sticking it out the window (brass is hell to find in the elec. stove)

I have a DPMS GEN II that I brought a few months ago. I put a Vortex 6x24x50mm scope on it and changed the trigger to a Rock River match set at 4.5 pounds. I reload for it and I have shoe from the bench a .228 3 shot group at 100 yards using flags. I also added a Caldwell AR brass catcher. I am very impressed with this rifle.

I got the adjustable gas block on and it is functioning and shooting much better. I swapped the Nightforce to a trijicon 5-20. The lack of external turrets bothered me about the night force SHV. I haven't done any loading for it yet but it shoots 168gr Prvi match ammo very well. Its not terribly consistent though, one day it shoots very well and the next it opens up to over an inch. I guess that could be me.

I need to work up a load for it. I have a couple boxes of 168 match bullets and some 175 mach kings. Hopefully it will do well with them.

7ae3d30d-778e-4897-8d66-71c3ea11c04a_zps004812c8.jpg

If anybody cares, my son got his upper back this morning with a couple fired brass and not one of them had any cratering of the primers. DPMS did right for my son.
I am not sure how many out there get kind of scared when a primer craters.
Anyway, the cratering is gone and we both feel better about it.

To tell the truth, I am a scaredy-cat when it comes to reloading.
When my son and I were seeing cratered primers on minimum loads, we stopped firing the rifle, took all the work up loads home and started pulling bullets to see if we somehow made a charge mistake.
Now we will start working up loads for the rifle.
Wish us luck. It is a great firearm.

My son got his upper back from DPMS. He sent it back because it was cratering the primers pretty bad even with minimum loads.
We took it to the range today and worked a ladder up.
42.6 grn of 4895 and a crimp put 3 rounds in under an inch at 200 yards.
Dammit, now I want one bad.

I know DPMS gets some static as being a lower end AR, but I bought a sweet 16 some years ago and have been so impressed with its reliability and accuracy that I took a chance this year and got a LR-308B. Man... This thing shoots like a dream. Checked primers after reading this thread and thank goodness they look fine.

I always thought of bolt action rifles as the thoroughbreds of accuracy, but this DPMS will hold its own with any of my bolt actions. DPMS is doing something right. Nice seeing others with similar results. Kudos.

I think all these GenIIs should come with adjustable gas blocks. The addition of the gas block made a 100% difference between function from stock block to the adjustable block. There is no more brass damage and it drops them all right next to me like they should in an easy to find pile. The Giessele high speed national match trigger helps a lot too!

I finally got a load worked up for the 175gr Match kings. I'm not sure on the velosity because my tripod is floating down a river up north, botched atv crossing. As well as its shooting I'm not terribly concerned about it. The load I have worked up for the 175gr match kings is with CFE223 powder, I had heard it was somewhat temperature sensitive but haven't noticed it and have shot it several times from 55-17 degrees. POI and groupings have stayed consistent. It was somwhat critical of COL, I have started measuring from the ogive and groups have tightened up quite a bit.

This is two 5 shot 200 yard groups I shot a couple weeks ago. The first 5 where when I first got there and the the second 5 where just before I left. I figured that would show any temperature difference between warm from the inside the truck and 36 degree ambient temperature at the range. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

This is a 3 shot group fired at 300 yards with the same load.

Anyone know when we will be able to get GII receiver sets to role our own?

I'd love to make a slightly lighter upper in 6.5 Creedmoor for my GenII. I think it would make a dandy deer/caribou hunting setup. A lighter contour 20" barrel with a carbon fiber FF tube would go a long way in making this thing more portable. I'm not sure how the creedmoor does in shorter barrels though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.