range finders

They have a black read out like I said before I havent put them up besides a swaro or leica but I do own 2 other bushnells, the bushnells are the ones I loan out to other people, nobody gets my newcon :) they seem to work good in snow, I would like to use them besides a swaro in the field just to see how they rate, I know swaro's are about the top of the line

Just ordered the newcon 2000 pro, should get here next week. I'll have to bring it out to the woods a give it a good testing. Got a pair of leupold tactical binoculars will do a side by side on the glass quality.

let us know how it does!

I'm liking what I hear. I would like to get a range finder that would range a deer or a elk at 1000 + yards. I have a bushnell pro now.

I have heard that the NEWCON's work well, although I have never owned one. On the other hand, I have had my own experiences with LRF's which has led me to make the following statement; unless you go with the Swarovsky, the Leica Geovid's or Leica Military PLF ($7,000.00+) or perhaps the new Zeiss, keep the unit warm in the cold.

Most of the lower priced LRF's have the laser diode sitting on an adjustable plastic bridge located behind the lens. Once the unit has been utilized in cold weather, (approximately 12 degrees f) and has been allowed to get cold, that plastic bridging will react to the cold and become tweaked to the point that the unit will not perform afterwards.

A solution is to keep the unit warm during cold weather conditions by placing a hand or toe warmer on the unit. This not only keeps the units circuitry from failing, or the bridging from tweaking, it also lengthens the life of the battery.

I just got back from trying out my newcon 2000 pro. This unit is well constructed and light weight. The controls are place on the unit so you don't have to look for them they fall right under your fingers when you hold the unit. Setting up the range finder and cycling through all the options is simple and once you get it set up to measure what you want you are off and running.

When looking through the glass everything was very clear and crisp, look through my leupold tactiacl binoculars and glass quality and picture was identical. I ranged out to 800 yards next time I want to try farther. I ranged things like cars, signs, trees, and buildings. The 800 reading was off a building at the end of the street I live on ranged trees at 525, 604, and 750. I even ranged a dog at 780.

It will even show a azmith of what direction you are facing when you range a target this will be helpfull when walking to the spot you shoot the animal you are hunting to pick up a blood trail.

The display is only black, would have been nice if it was a shade of red. The black can get hard to see depending on the target that you are aiming at.

All-in-all this is a well made range finder even though I didn't get to range it at the longer distances I feel that it will range a deer at 1500 no problem. I would recommed this range finder to any one. It is easy to use good glass and well made.

In the past I have used bushnell, leica and swarovski.

1: The bushnell. Forget it. It is a waste of $$. A 1000 yard range finder will do good to range 600 yards on a good day.

2: The Leica. Awesome. It would read out to just over 1200 yards in nearly any conditions so long as the path wasnt blocked by fog, rain or snow.

3: The Swarovski. Astounding. It is a "1500" yard rangefinder. I get readings out to 1999 yards in good or not so good light so long as there sint any rain, fog or snow. This is the one I continue to use.

3: The Swarovski. Astounding. It is a "1500" yard rangefinder. I get readings out to 1999 yards in good or not so good light so long as there sint any rain, fog or snow. This is the one I continue to use.

meichele, I have read many of your posts and count you as a person in the know.

So, wow, That gets me excited. I just got word my Swaro will return to me this week from it's 8 week repair. Mine did give me a 1999 reading on a rock wall right before dark once. Statements like this give me hope that my newly reworked swaro, ( that they promised to look over with a fine tooth comb and make sure it would be as good as it can be) will maybe range a deer at 1200 yds. I truely hope so. Now if they could just get the display brighter, reticle smaller and readings to come up faster with out all that circular stuff going on in there. I would be a happy camper.

That being said, I still have not tested the top 3 for under $1K side by side. So the swaro may indeed be the best for the money. But I guess I am just not sold yet. The big test will be soon!!

Jeff

I do agree that the huge circle sucks and the time delay sucks as well. I dont have a problem with it being too bright or too dim though. You are right, those features could use major improvment. I am still happy due to the fact that I can get reliable readings farther than I am qualified to shoot and that I didnt have to pay multi thousand dollars for it!! This IMHO makes it a winner for the long range hunter.

I had a Leica and thought it worked well until I lost it and bought Swaro. The Swaro is AWESOME.

I just bought a Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 :D:D:D:D

I can get readings off a grass and scrub covered hill out my back door of over 1600 yards. I am very happy with it.

i am using a leupold rxb-iv i have not yet been able to use it hunting but i have ranged a building at 1138m mid day as well as trees out to 900m and a buch of things closer that that, on the longer ranges it dose take about 2-10 seconds to get a range. but for the most part i am rily happy with them

The Problem with the Leica LRF1200 that I owned is as follows:

1) The laser diode (?) is mounted onto an adjustable plastic bridge that sits behind the lens. Once the unit is introduced to freezing temperatures, and it is allowed to get cold, that plastic bridge will react and twist or warp. Once this happens, the laser will Never work correctly again, if at all.

2) Leica does not repair these units any longer. They did offer me a new one at reduced price, however I was fearful that the problem would occur again.

It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that all of the civilian LRF's EXCEPT the Swarovsky are manufactured with similar design flaws. I am very happy with my Swarovsky and recommend it highly. The other LRF that I have a GREAT appreciation for is the Leica PLRF. It ranges out to 6K, and does a numerous amount of other tasks as well. The PLRF is pricey for most, with a retail cost above in the thousands...

I selected the new Zeiss 8X26 T* PRF Laser RF over the
Swarovsky for the following reasons:

1. Zeiss glass.

2. Ranges to 1300 yrds. (I don't need to range any farther).

3. BIS (Ballistic Information System) which displays hold-overs/unders for specfic trajectories to 550yrds. (500M)...purists don't laugh, this works very well when you are pressed for time.:)

4. It's about $100 less than the Swarovsky, and has a smaller aiming point.

FWIW, I recently used it for PD town readings, and it worked flawlessly.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.