Range finder reflectivity question?

mustfish

I currently own the Leupold RX1000. I bought this for a bowhunting range finder and in that capacity have been very satisfied. The problem is that when shooting my 7mm Sendero at distance I have a hard time getting a reading on anything over about 475 yards away. Yesterday I was able to get a brief hit at 798. I was trying to range on a house , large cedar tree and several camper trailers. It only hit one range but I could not get it to repeat the range. Right now I am having to step range from one point to another to get to where I want to shoot too. What type of surface does an object need to get a good reflection? If I upgrade to a Leica or similar range finder will I have the same problem?

If you go to a Leica or comparable RF in quality / price I doubt you will have any problem out to 1000 yards.

But it you want to make it easy on you for now hang an old license plate or two by the target. This will give the RF something to reflect off of. But if you want to range game you will need to upgrade.

Jeff

If you go to a Leica or comparable RF in quality / price I doubt you will have any problem out to 1000 yards.

But it you want to make it easy on you for now hang an old license plate or two by the target. This will give the RF something to reflect off of. But if you want to range game you will need to upgrade.

Jeff

What Jeff says can be taken to the bank. He is emerging as the RF guru around here. He has used 'em all, compared 'em all and has very high requirements for performance. By high performance I mean hitting what he shoots at at distances where being a yard or two off makes the difference between harvest and just a fun trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.