range finder advice

neutral

I am looking at buy a range finder and my primary use will be for gophers and deer. I can order leopold where i work so i get a prefered price so that is what i am leaning towards.

i want your opinions on reasonable price range finders that can range a gopher or rocks around the gopher out to 500.

the ones i was looking at were the 750 and the rx IV wich says can do 1500 yds. appreciate any and all input. gotta get ready for some gopher judgement days to come ;)

Buy the furthest ranging model that you can get/afford.

I don't personally have any experience with the leupold models, but I have a bushnell 800 yd model. It will not range small targets to 800 yds, only about 500 yds.

I've also got two Leica's 1200 and 1600. Neither of them range very small things at the full advertised distance either.

Get more than you think you will need, you won't regret it.

i HAD a leupold rxIV. i now have a swaro laserguide. the leupold is junk. too much going on in the lens, wouldn't ever range over 500 yds. if there is mist or snow forget it. if there is snow on the ground forget it, if its sunny no way. i have no idea where they get the 1500 yd claim bc i tried ranging a 40 foot aluminum sided trailer at 800 with no success. the swaro i have now is awesome (aside from the large reticle) it always reads out to 1500 on trees/dirt in good conditions and in any condition out to 800. i have got readings consistantly to 1999 on reflective targets and some pine trees.

the leica Rf's are also a very good. i sold my 1200 model before the 1600 came out. i'd like to try one of those now.

I just bought a Bushnell elite 1500. I was out ranging trees and dirt out over 900 yards (that's all the further I can see out back). I bought an 800 and returned it. Anything over 400 yards or so and it would really struggle. I threw the new 1500 on a tripod and it ranged out past 900 yards very quickly.

All BS asside, you will have a hard time getting a range finder to range a dog at extended range. best results from mounting it on a rest. I have a Leica 1200 and a Nikon 800. The leica's glass is very good, and it will range deer sized animals to 800is as long as the sun is not crazy bright. It ranges best just before sunup, or after sunset.

bottom line is you get what you pay for in better glass and better ranging ability... Swaro, Leica crf, Leupold, Nikon/busnell in that order for the most popular manufacturers In my humble opinion.

good luck

I have a Leupold RX-III now, after trying to range chucks in grass fields @ 600 to 700 yds. I'm looking for a new rangefinder. Although they do step up in price in the order I list lol, so does quality. It just depends what my budget is, and what is available (i.e. G7) when I buy.

Leica CRF 1600, Swarovski, G7. Have not looked @ the Bushnell 1500, but might take a look. Also looked @ the Bushnell Fusion 1600s, but it may be a tad bulky.

Stay away from the Leupolds. Have had several friends with varying models and each of them experienced frustration trying to get their units to range anywhere near the advertised max.

My buddies and I have all switched to Swarovski Laserguides and are quite happy with them. Range a target at 1720 just this weekend in reasonably bright light.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.