Rail

Check out TPS for rings too if you get a chance, great rings at a great price, I used to run Leupold Mk4 rings but have given over to TPS in favor of saving money!

Jeff -

What is it that you like about the Nightforce vs EGW?

I have both and can't see paying the extra for just the name.
thanks
Richard

Hi Richard. I guess in short the answer is , fit and strength. I don't wish to offend the EGW guy that are happy. But I have had 2 bad ones of my own. terrible fit and soft. The last one that was brought to me to install was bent right out of the package. I put a straight edge on top and it was about .025" out. As I tightened it down it got worse. So, I was able to bend it with my hands over the bench and then bed it in to a straight top, well kinda. But I just as well have built a rail out of bedding epoxy.:rolleyes:

Every NF or Near Base I have ever installed, (and this is many) have went right on with a thin skim coat of bedding and were true as could be on top. I shoot alot and at extended distances. I want a true rail that is strong and will not transfer flex under recoil into my scope tube. I am very happy to spend $100 to $150 to get this. Especially when I consider the price of the rifle and scope this base is marrying together.

Jeff

Hi Richard. I guess in short the answer is , fit and strength. I don't wish to offend the EGW guy that are happy. But I have had 2 bad ones of my own. terrible fit and soft. The last one that was brought to me to install was bent right out of the package. I put a straight edge on top and it was about .025" out. As I tightened it down it got worse. So, I was able to bend it with my hands over the bench and then bed it in to a straight top, well kinda. But I just as well have built a rail out of bedding epoxy.:rolleyes:

Every NF or Near Base I have ever installed, (and this is many) have went right on with a thin skim coat of bedding and were true as could be on top. I shoot alot and at extended distances. I want a true rail that is strong and will not transfer flex under recoil into my scope tube. I am very happy to spend $100 to $150 to get this. Especially when I consider the price of the rifle and scope this base is marrying together.

Jeff

I only have 4 EGW's and 1 NF. I haven't had any issues like that. But, you've obviously seen a lot more of them.

I usually install the rear 2x screws and check for any clearance in front. Then, remove the rear screws and install the front ones and check for clearance in the rear. Then, I skim bed them as you described.

If any arrive bent. I'll be sure to send them straight back.

I haven't had any issues yet. But, I'll have to stay on the lookout because I don't mind paying extra if it makes a difference.

thanks!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.