Rail

Zukman

My Build will b ready next week ! Can I get a hell yes? Lol rem 700action need a good rail ! Any suggestions ?

I'm probably going with the Murphy Titaniaum 20moa rail for my STW which I'm fixing to give a major overhaul, cerakote, stock, new mount/rings.

They are not cheap, but the titanium has minimal flex and should really stiffen up the action.

My one concern was that they are designed with only four attachment screws and I asked if they'd go ahead and machine it for two more (one on each end) and they said, "No problem".

Don't skimp on the rail. I have heard the EGW rails are pretty good, but have never used one. Stay away from TPS rails, I got one that was nowhere near straight. I can recommend Nightforce for a good reasonably priced rail.

I have leupold base n rings now on my Thompson . I was thinkin just gettin leupold for my build ! Any thoughts on that ?

I have leupold base n rings now on my Thompson . I was thinkin just gettin leupold for my build ! Any thoughts on that ?

Leupold makes good rings and bases.

However, picatinny rails are superior in many respects and once you start using them, you'll want them on every rifle since it makes it a snap to swap scopes and work on rifles, etc.

The 20 MOA slope also puts your turrets closer to the center of their adjustment range for long distances in order to allow for maximum windage adjustment.

They also make for an extrememly stable and durable mounting system.

And, they really don't cost much more, if any.

-- richard

Leupold does make a decent Picatinny rail, but you're not going to find one with a MOA slope. Also, Leupold Pic rails are really not any cheaper than other steel rails. I have one on this rifle and am extremely satisfied, but there are plenty of other options. I would stick with a rail for your build rather than a standard style base though.

1.jpeg

I second this. And I have used 2 EGW's. I much prefer the Nightforce rail for the 700 action. Money well spent if you are serious about long range accuracy.

Jeff

Jeff -

What is it that you like about the Nightforce vs EGW?

I have both and can't see paying the extra for just the name.

NF makes a big deal out of having the ridge behind the receiver to help withstand recoil. But on my 12F, it's not machined to tight enough tolerance to make a difference anyways. So, you still need to epoxy it if you're serious.

Other than that, I can't really see the difference although it's often what you don't see that counts.

thanks
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.