Rabbits with Dogs???

DONTSTROKEME

I have a Jack Russell and Corgy mixed mut but I want to get him to retrieve grouse and rabbits. I hope to train him to flush the rabbits and give a good chase. And maybe even flush grouse??

Has anyone played with little dogs and hunting?

Joe Oakes

I don't know what a corgy is, but I have a Jack Russel. I can't get him to retrieve a ball let alone a piece of meat.

Jacks were used mostly for fox hunting I think. Mine likes to dig up anything that hides in the ground, then kill it.
He has a passing interest in trying to catch birds. It's not pointing it's spot rush and grab.

You might get a jack to run rabbits, but if it runs in a hole all your going to see is a dogs *** and dirt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a male and female Jack both are awsome attack and catch dogs , my male regularly catches and kills cats , coons , opposums , and about anything else that will run. but I think that they both would run a rabbit way to fast , and as soon as either one of mine see what they are wanting to get they are after it W.F.O.

I think that a beagle would make a better point and push dog , but if the animal is smart then you should be able to train it somewhat

JRs were made for killing rats and stuff. Corgies are designed for healing cattle to keep them moving. They are so short that that a cow kicks over them and they just keep dogging along.

I don't think either one of them has an ounce of retrieve instinct.

I'd go with the beagle idea. Been there done that and got a lot of rabbits. The bark of the dog lets you know where the rabbit isn't and where it is/was headed.

Great fun.

If you want a great grouse dog and nice house dog look up Chip's Kennels in western PA.

[ QUOTE ]
Mine likes to dig up anything that hides in the ground, then kill it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You might get a jack to run rabbits, but if it runs in a hole all your going to see is a dogs *** and dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep and yep!! I tried to teach mine to find and chase rabbits. He'd find the rabbit hide everytime around the house, but when I took him rabbit hunting I realized that what I really had was an armadillo dog!! To this day, all that he wants to do is chase armadillos.

Armadillo's are stupid beasts. More than once we've come up on them digging while we were dove hunting and given them a kick in the butt. I was watching 'Barbarossa' the other day and ol' Willie kept wanting to eat the critters.
When I went to Texas for a few years in the 80's as soon as I got there the locals started telling me about them like they were a novelty and I should be impressed.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd go with the beagle idea. Been there done that and got a lot of rabbits. The bark of the dog lets you know where the rabbit isn't and where it is/was headed.

Great fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, beagles are very good at that. My neighbor has a couple of them, amazing dogs. And they don´t push the rabbit too fast either. - I have a Finnish Hound for the same purpose (hare) and the pace is quite a lot faster. He also chases fox the same way.

Great fun indeed.

My lab/boxer mix will retrieve rabbits that she manages to catch.

The rabbits are learning that the "hold still and pray" doesn't work, no matter how thick the brush. If they want to live, they need to run for the fence.

Other than that, she'll bring em back, still kicking and screaming. Throw it on the ground at your feet, and step on it so it won't run. If they struggle, she'll beat it with her paws till its motionless.

Actually, its quite an awesome spectical. If you don't take it from her right then, she picks it up and trots off to consume. Almost like she's giving me first dibs.

Dad has a Jack Russell. It will chase a rat/rabbit/etc until armegeddon if necessary. It doesn't retrieve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Go with the beagle if your looking for a hunting hound. I've had a few and always enjoyed it. My best was a beagle/dachsund mix (low riding rabbit dog)

Next time think about a Springer Spaniel. They are a great flushing dog and a good pet. They will retrieve and track a wounded bird. They like really thick brush with lots of burs. Great pheasant dog. Of course to a Springer, a field mouse is just as much fun as a rabbit.

Once you get get them home from hunting it takes hours to get the burs out of the hair around their ears

Well got my scent from cabela's today and we have a delay....my dog has lost a few of his teeth latley and with the excitment of the scent on the hard canvas he tore out about 3 more on the first try......I think I might need to wait before I get him on it again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Joe Oakes

I had an English Springer Spaniel when I was young that was a good rabbit dog. When a rabbit was jumped, just sit down and get ready as the dog would chase it back around to me.

He was also a good upland bird flusher. Springers are the best pheasant dogs.

He would catch bullfrogs for bait at the river edge when taking him pike fishing.

They are also good retrievers, Springers are a very versatile breed of hunting dog, very fast, can jump very high, over fences.

if you want to chase rabbits get a bassethound lots of fun. way better looking and alot smarter. imo:)

Get a greyhound or whippet! When I was stationed in England, I saw some retired/rescued greyhounds trained to hunt rabbit and they were awesome ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.