Rabbit Hunting in New Zealand

6BRBB

I'm new to this site. I'm currently working in the 'desert' (Dubai) and I really appreciate this site to keep up my interest in long range hunting. The below story on Rabbit Hunting in Utah got me interested to put together a note on bunny-busting back home in New Zealand (N.Z) last summer.

There are no shortage of rabbits in the farm lands of N.Z. One evening last January I set-up in a field facing an adjacent hillside. Glassing and range-finding the area I spotted seven rabbits at various locations in the same general area. Closest was 280 yards, the further-est 330 yards. A leisurely five minutes and seven empty cases later all had been dispatched with 87 grain V-max. I was quite surprised none were scared of by each bang and associated thump.

My rig is a trued Remington 700 LTR that I re-barreled with a True-Flite 27 inch barrel in 6BR (1-10 twist). It has a Vais muzzle break. One benefit of the brake (I believe) is that it also bleeds off some of the noise thus not allowing its intensity to carry as far. As long as there is reasonable space between the bunnies, and you are far enough away, they just sit munching grass and waiting for Mr V. Max to arrive. I went with 6BR for its accuracy. It easily achieves quarter-inch MOA if I'm on top of my game. And it has enough power as I'm unlikely to be engaging critters beyond 400yds on the farm where I shoot.

The last shot for the summer was my best so far! Two bunnies were sitting in one corner of a field, I was in the other. I couldn't engage straight away as they were immediately in front of a barn. So I got set up and waited. One moved off to the right, stopped, hunched down facing straight-on towards me 300 yards away. I put the Nightforce crosshairs in the middle of its chest then waited to see what the second rabbit would do. As hoped it began to follow the first bunny. As it passed in front of its stationary friend I let loose. On walking to the other end of the field I was glad to find two lifeless rabbits. The front bunny was nearly cut in half. Its stationary friend, 6-feet behind the first, had taken the same bullet square in the chest where I had initially aimed. It had a 1 inch entry hole, no exit, and was now wearing a nice red dusting of 'bunny-mist' from the first. After demolishing the first rabbit that V-max had not deviated one bit. A great way to conserve ammo!

Needless to say I can't wait to hit the bunnies again when I'm back in N.Z (Kiwi-land) this March.

Happy New Year all.

Glen Hodges
[email protected]

Hi Screech
Dubai is on Arabian Gulf, its part of the United Arab Emirates (north of Saudi Arabia). I'm out here on a 3yr contract. But do manage to get back to Kiwi-land once a year. With so much sand, and the local laws there's not much chance of long range hunting here.

GH

Excellent Hunting. What load are you using in the 6BR, and what velocity are you achieving with the 87graners. Also who is true-flight.

31.0 grains of ADI (Varget) gets me 3010fps with Federal match primers. Am running a 0.272" 'no-turn' neck (but did turn them a little to take out the high-spots).

True-Flight barrels are made by Steve Blenkarne, Mt Maunganui New Zealand. They are match grade barrels and from my own F-class shooting are certainly as good as equivalent match grade barrels we see from the US. They now have a new web site: www.truefliteriflebarrels.co.nz
I understand he does export to Aust, US, and UK.

6BRBB

When you get back home and to hunting bunnies, if you back up a couple of hundred more yards you will get to shoot more bullets per rabbit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6BRBB
In another life I was out were you are, I throught Abu-Dhabi was better though.
Brakes are not a common fitting over here,but moderators are,I think they are a big asset in the felt recoil,accuracy and the noise department.
So you need not move further back as has been proposed but can get loads more shots from were you are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I shoot along some long fencelines here in Souther Australia. Same thing - it is easier to get mroe shots at longer ranges - obviously it is probably the localised and close bang of the rifle that scares them most. My longest bunny shot was 450m lasered with a rem700 vs in .223 with Remmington Accutip 50gr - giving some holdover the first shot went over the head and even with a noticable dust puff a few feet away the bunny just hopped around a little and the second shot knocked it over cleanly.
The story is not that unnusual

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.