R700 LA magnum bolt face. What should I chamber it in?

Toptuna

I have an R700 LA with magnum bolt face. I have an hs precision stock for it. I want this gun to be for longer range deer hunting. I am not a 1k yard shooter and dont plan to be but I was wondering what is the smallest magnum cartridge you would put in a long action? I'd like to go smaller than 7mm and wish the 243 wssm would work but with my little knowledge on this stuff I was hoping you guys could give me some insight. Thanks in advance.

.257 Weatherby Mag for sure!

Or you could go with a cool wildcat and go with a 6.5 x 257 Weatherby Improved, which is one nasty caliber! You use .257 Wby brass and open the necks to 6.5 then shoot them to fireform.

If you had a standard bolt face, I'd say 6.5 Sherman.

.257 Weatherby Mag for sure!

Or you could go with a cool wildcat and go with a 6.5 x 257 Weatherby Improved, which is one nasty caliber! You use .257 Wby brass and open the necks to 6.5 then shoot them to fireform.

If you had a standard bolt face, I'd say 6.5 Sherman.

I like the 257 weatherby. Thats one of the ones im thinking of.

as far as the 6.5x257 I do not know enough about rifles or resizing brass to get into that. Id love to but dont have time time between my spearfishing, hunting, wife, kid, business.

Thanks for the response. It is greatly appreciated.:)

I like the 257 weatherby. Thats one of the ones im thinking of.

as far as the 6.5x257 I do not know enough about rifles or resizing brass to get into that. Id love to but dont have time time between my spearfishing, hunting, wife, kid, business.

Thanks for the response. It is greatly appreciated.:)

If it's factory ammo calibers you seek.....257 Wby shooting the factory Weatherby brand 110gr Accubonds out of a 26" 1:10" twist barrel will be your best bet.

Also, if you do go .257 Wby and don't plan on handloading, I'll be more than happy to take that brass of your hands, as I have a .257 Wby Mag that I load for, and it's my main deer rifle, so I shoot it a good bit.

If it's factory ammo calibers you seek.....257 Wby shooting the factory Weatherby brand 110gr Accubonds out of a 26" 1:10" twist barrel will be your best bet.

Also, if you do go .257 Wby and don't plan on handloading, I'll be more than happy to take that brass of your hands, as I have a .257 Wby Mag that I load for, and it's my main deer rifle, so I shoot it a good bit.

i just got into reloading so i would certainly be doing that. Ill ask around if any of my freinds have a 257 weatherby. like to shoot a few rounds before I get a new barrel.

i just got into reloading so i would certainly be doing that. Ill ask around if any of my freinds have a 257 weatherby. like to shoot a few rounds before I get a new barrel.

To give you a good idea of what it will do to a deer's vitals if you shoot it in the ribs, right behind the shoulder, shoot a full water bottle @ 100 yards dead center mass T to B, L to R. You will be completely confident then.

The factory Weatherby brand ammo loaded with 110 Accubonds, is loaded hot, and is pretty accurate. I shot it for years before reloading for it with zero issues.

You will thoroughly enjoy the .257 Wby, as it has light recoil for a magnum (about like a .30-06), is blistering fast, and very accurate and capable of taking deer out to 500-750 or so. I personally wouldn't shoot deer past 500 with it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be used a little bit further out. It's also a fun coyote caliber for LR coyote hunting.

Yes. I recommend Nosler or Norma .264 Win Mag brass (I believe Nosler is actually made by Norma).

In a pinch, you can neck down 7mm Rem Mag brass, so brass really isn't an issue with this cartridge.

Also, with overbore cartridges like the .264WM or .257 Wby, barrel length is your friend.

Yes. I recommend Nosler or Norma .264 Win Mag brass (I believe Nosler is actually made by Norma).

In a pinch, you can neck down 7mm Rem Mag brass, so brass really isn't an issue with this cartridge.

Also, with overbore cartridges like the .264WM or .257 Wby, barrel length is your friend.

Thanks for the solid info.

benchracer is correct. Winchester .264 brass is pretty hard to come by but 7mm Rem Mag isn't. One quick trip through a FL die makes .264wm brass. .264wm, 7RM, and .338wm are all the same case with different caliber bullets. Nosler and Norma are probably even better options though.

benchracer is correct. Winchester .264 brass is pretty hard to come by but 7mm Rem Mag isn't. One quick trip through a FL die makes .264wm brass. .264wm, 7RM, and .338wm are all the same case with different caliber bullets. Nosler and Norma are probably even better options though.

Wow thats awesome. Thanks for the info. 264 win mag sounds about right for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.