R Bros 7WSM

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Thought you guys might be interested in my latest little project. Been trying to complete this rifle for about a year now. I was looking for a lighter rifle than my Long Range Hunter packages and am pretty pleased with the results. Still has plenty of reach and is plenty packable. My brother and I always looked at eachother funny when we would be hiking in elk hunting and hunting the timber with our 30" Edges.

First groups out of the rifle with H1000 and 180 Berger were in the .380" range outside to outside. 180's at 3000fps will be plenty efficient for the needs of this rifle. Chamber is throated to touch the lands and still fit in the magazine.

Here are the specs:

Rogue Receiver
Broughton R Bros Contour, 26" fluted, 1-9 twist
Manners T2 w/90% shell and special fill
Seekins AI Bottom Metal w/Accurate WSM mag
Jewell Trigger
R Bros 20moa Rail w/integrated lug
NF 5.5-22x50 w/UL rings
DE 3 port brake
DE Cheekpiece
Woodland R Bros Camo stock
Matte Black Gunkote metal

Weight ready to hunt: 9.1lbs

Trav7WSM.jpg

Last edited:
Is that 9.1lbs with the NF scope on it?
What load is shooting .38" groups?
Was that grouping off a bipod?
How many rounds of 7WSM fit in the magazine?
Do you work up loads for the guns you sell?
thanx

Mike,

That weight is with the NF, but without the bipod. The group was off a bipod. I always shoot and test builds from the ground prone with a bipod and rear bag. I figure that's how they are going to be used, so that is how I test them as well. Also, I shoot better from a bipod than a bench. I have several "standard" loads for my builds. They work 99% of the time in all my builds. I have only had to tweak them a couple times for a couple builds. Generally they shoot well under 1/2moa. If its a new chambering, then I work up a load for the customer. Load data and a dummy round are sent out with the rifles. I break in and test all builds for accuracy and function before they ship out. No extra charge, just think that is how it should be done. The standard mag holds 4 rounds, and I have another that holds 7.

The loads I have found so far that have shot really well are:

67-69gr H1000 180 berger jumping .005" 2950-3060fps
67gr RL22 162 Amax, .010" jump, 3160fps

Keep in mind to work up to these.....my chamber could be different.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Travis.
But I'd like specific information on the load. ["What load is shooting .38" groups?"]

You imply .38moa with THE gun pictured above, right?
What is that exact load, for that serial# gun, that a customer could actually buy?

Where I'm going with this actually has little to do with your guns, and they sound nice.
But I think it's important that potential customers actually know what they would get from you, so that they aren't left 'guessing' about how to get performance from your gun after the purchase.
If you also think this is important, then you might recognize an opportunity(in this regard) to one-up nearly every gunbuilder in existence.
BUT
When you say "I break in and test all builds for accuracy and function before they ship out", that doesn't sound like load development, or declaration of specific performance with specific load, for serial# XX gun, that a customer would consider before cutting a check for it. It doesn't sound like you're selling performance, but guns built as well as you can -that usually shoot well.
So far, we could go to anyone for that..

But I'd like specific information on the load. ["What load is shooting .38" groups?"]

What is that exact load, for that serial# gun, that a customer could actually buy?

Where I'm going with this actually has little to do with your guns, and they sound nice.
But I think it's important that potential customers actually know what they would get from you, so that they aren't left 'guessing' about how to get performance from your gun after the purchase.
If you also think this is important, then you might recognize an opportunity(in this regard) to one-up nearly every gunbuilder in existence.
BUT
When you say "I break in and test all builds for accuracy and function before they ship out", that doesn't sound like load development, or declaration of specific performance with specific load, for serial# XX gun, that a customer would consider before cutting a check for it. It doesn't sound like you're selling performance, but guns built as well as you can -that usually shoot well.

Wow - you're a real ball buster! Have you not seen the rifles these guys have built and the results they and their customers have posted? Not sayin' you're wrong, just that R Bros does have an excellent reputation.

BUT

No problem Mike,

The load for this rifle is 69gr H1000, FED 215M, 180 Berger seated 2.245" measured base to Ogive. (jumping .015")

What I have found is that barrels cut with the same reamer will generally shoot the same load accurately and with similar velocity if all the same barrel manufacturer are used. I have built close to 40 Edge's now with Broughton Barrels. Using the same reamer, and the same load, they all shoot under 1/2moa easily and within 30fps of eachother. All of the barrels I have used (Bartlein, Lilja, Rock, Broughton, Krieger, brux) have shot under 1/2moa using the loads I have developed. These loads don't shoot well in factory rifles, but with my reamers and premium barrels, they shoot.

When I "test" a rifle, I provide the test target, dummy round, and load data used to shoot the target. If they want the same performance, then they just need to load per the specs I have provided. Most guys do, a few guys tweak things or try something different, but most just use the load I suggested and live happy. I try to make it as easy as possible so all the customer has to do is load the ammo per specs, and go shoot. No load development, no break in, just go shoot. If my standard load doesn't shoot to my expectations, then I do load development and put that load in my book for future reference. I believe this is similar to your thoughts above.

This is the information I provide on the test targets:

Customer
Serial Number
Date
# of shots
Distance
Specific Load data
Conditions which I fired during (ie: off bipod prone, sunny, rainy, etc...)

Again, the target along with a dummy round are sent out to the customer. Hopefully this clears things up a little.

Thanks Joel and Trebark for the compliments.

Feenix, I am heading your direction this fall, and this one and my edge will be traveling along with me:D

In thinking about this a little more. I know there are some large name builders out there that leave the customer guessing on loads and selling their goods based on reputation, not performance. A few others will do load development for a charge. Some, including a couple of well known builders on this forum, test the rifles and give customers the load they used to do so. I don't know if they provide dummy rounds, test targets, but they give load data and some suggestions.

My whole goal was to make it easier for the end user. I have a book full of load data for different calibers, bullets, powder, etc..... All based on experience with the builds that I have done. When I find a "screamer" load, that is my goto and first to test. I don't have a big name out there in the industry, but my goal is to make it a simple solution for my customers and build an accurate rifle. By providing the test data along with the rifle, there is no load development, just mount the scope(if I didn't already do that), and go shoot. Simple as that. I also do similar scenerio for my LE customers.....I breakin and test their rifles with the duty ammo they will be using to verify accuracy and function of my work.

Oh, I don't see this as "ball busting". If I were buying a custom rifle, I would want the same things provided for me.

Thank you for the expansion of information, and for putting up with my requests for it..
You hold an excellent business model Travis

I think shooters will take notice.

Nice rig Travis!!!

This guy builds a GREAT gun!!!

Travis, you need any 180 Bergers to supply the demand you are going to have for this rig? Got a pile of 'em.

Only you (Travis) will understand .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.