Quiet possibly the best factory guns you can buy

I own several M700's, from a couple of Sendero's to a VS308 & some std. versions as well, I like them alot & have obtained very good results, better than many here evidently, possibly because all of mine are at least a few years old. I had one Varmit Sav. 22-250 in the late 90's that was fair at best, but I don't judge a brand by one rifle.

That being said, if I was starting over I would look hard at Savage. I am thinking of buying 1 or 2 anyway. I have been watching Sav. gaining more & more popularity among serious shooters & Competitive shooters in partitular. The fact that the Sav. team are winning matches with factory rifles (competing against custom rifles) should not be ignored.

Also, bringing out rifles like the Precision Carbine with such a good combination of features is really neat & I don't see others doing this nearly as well at the same price point.

Could it be that savage is building a custom rifle in their factory line ??
Thus the reason they are able to shoot with so called "true" custom rifles .

In short what i'm saying is this Savage has had to build or produce a Custom rifle from the factory in order to sell their rifles in a Factory rifle market!

Remington ALL THE WAY :D

BigBuck

Could it be that savage is building a custom rifle in their factory line ??
Thus the reason they are able to shoot with so called "true" custom rifles .

In short what i'm saying is this Savage has had to build or produce a Custom rifle from the factory in order to sell their rifles in a Factory rifle market!

Remington ALL THE WAY :D

BigBuck
Yeah, that makes sense, Remington is much better - even though they're not as accurate - since Savage had to resort to building a better gun just to sell more guns. :cool:

Custom rifle at a factory price...how ingenious, is there a limit on how many an individual can buy.:)

According to what I have read on the Sharp Shooter Web Site, you have to send him your rifle to have his trigger installed and timed. Kind of a pricey proposition. The shipping would probably be over $60 bucks plus the turn around time. In the 70's I had several factory 40X's that would routinely shoot in the teens. They had Canjar 2oz triggers on them that I bought mail order and installed myself. The light triggers really helped shoot small groups.
The quarter inch groups that my 204 Savage shoots is probably half good enough to be match accuracy at a bench rest match today. Good accuracy for sure, but not top shelf. I left out of my earlier post that it shoots that good despite the floating bolt head.

'Despite' the floating bolt head? Now thats a contrary line of thought. Most people view the floating bolt head as being part of what allows un-trued factory actions to shoot that well, rather than having only part of one lug bearing (as can happen in a solid bolt head Rem-chester design).

I don't think that many serious competitive shooters think much of the floating bolt head and would consider having one a handicap.
Would some match shooters respond to this statement and give us your opinion.

Does my opinion count...? I think they work just fine. :rolleyes:

Trust me, no one sniggers when we show up to a match with stock rifles.

Benchresters might turn up their nose... but then they can be a persnickety sort anywho. Give it time... :D

Thats what I call the crooked wheel argument. If your car has a crooked wheel on it do you loosen the wheel bearing to help it run straight? I think not. Straight is straight. The custom rifle smiths true Remington actions to .002" runout. I don't know how crooked they start out from the factory but I have watched many of them checked that had less than .002. That's pretty good.
I really don't think Savage uses the design to compensate for crooked parts. I think it allows them to use a common bolt with multiple heads to make up the rifles. It probably cuts down on inventory costs. Thats all
If you look at the winning equipment lists at the big benchrest shoots you will not commonly see Savage Actions on the winners list. When they do well everyone is surprised and it's in bold print.
Many years ago I shot a Remington 788 in the Hunter Class. That rifle was pretty good. It was a 308 that would shoot .3 groups routinely. It did not have a very good trigger on it, relative to what the guys with 700's had and I always felt it was something to overcome. Going into a competition you never want to feel less than equal about your equipment, it's not good for your head. If I was competing today it wouldn't be with an action with a second rate trigger and a floating bolt head.
Remember, I have a couple of Savages, one varmint rifle and one that is my son's first rifle in 260AI they both shoot very well but not absoulutely top shelf. To compete against precision equipment you have to have precision equipment, not a floating bolt head.

The inventory/production aspect probably had a lot to do with the origins of the system; I was simply stating that most people feel the floating bolt-head concept is an asset (in a factory action). You are of course free to disagree.

If you look at the winning equipment lists at the big benchrest shoots you will not commonly see Savage Actions on the winners list.
About as often as you see Remington in the same listing. And for what its worth... while I respect Benchrest as a sport, I don't see it as the end-all-be-all definition of what works or what doesn't. YMMV.

Going into a competition you never want to feel less than equal about your equipment, it's not good for your head. If I was competing today it wouldn't be with an action with a second rate trigger and a floating bolt head.
Hmmm... guess I'll have to feel settle for feeling less than equal :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes sense, Remington is much better - even though they're not as accurate - since Savage had to resort to building a better gun just to sell more guns. :cool:

They could come out with a rifle that has a golden laced barrel nut and it would still be a savage! Were I'm from if you drag out your rifle and the guys see that it is a savage they kind a snicker..

They have come a long way but maybe they should have changed their name:)

BigBuck

They could come out with a rifle that has a golden laced barrel nut and it would still be a savage! Were I'm from if you drag out your rifle and the guys see that it is a savage they kind a snicker..

They have come a long way but maybe they should have changed their name:)

BigBuck

No name change necessary. It is what makes the rifle unique. Like it or love it, a Savage will perform regardless of a golden barrel nut, or the name of a warrior!:D

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.