"Quiet crowns" - reducing percieved noise and ear damage?

davyd

\"Quiet crowns\" - reducing percieved noise and ear damage?

With a growing interest in protecting my remaining hearing while hunting I have been told of "quiet crowning". 1-2 inches depth of wider than bullet crilling in the end of the barrel.

This effectively would form a sleeve and project the sound forward away from the shooter. Not unlike a muzzle break but pushing everthing forward

I have seen something similar on a .22lr that seemed to work.

Has anyone come across this sort of setup and was it effective?

Ideally I would use a sleeve over the end of my varmint rig and ear plugs to protect my delicate ears when out in th field -assuming it can be done legally in Australia

Re: \"Quiet crowns\" - reducing percieved noise and ear damage?

with a 22 it is called a bloop tube...an easier method might be to carry foam earplugs with you when you need to shoot.

Somehow I doubt this mod would make much difference...

JB

Unsually when I hunt, it's cold and I have my earflaps down.

Why not get a set of the electronic ear muffs that cut off the sound when it reaches a certain level. I have been using these and they work great. You can have a quiet converstion with a fellow shooter or hunter and when its time to shoot just pull the trigger and it blocks off any loud noise.

Keeps your ears warm as well in the cold.

Worth a look.

On a high powered rifle I would be worried about turbulance with the crowning method you discribed.

Kirby Allen(50)

I've heard that those holland muzzle brakes really keep that noise down.

... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif...

I have read somewhere that that type of crown was detrimental to the accuracy of the rife. I have also seen a guy with an 8mm Mauser he was playing around with that had basically a counterbore for a crown. It shot a one hole group. Goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read I guess. I don't know if it made the rifle any quieter to the shooter or not.

DAVYD

There is such a thing and it does work (for perceived sound)

You see extreme examples of these on some assault rifles and machine guns.( they look like a funnel )

I personally dont like muzzle breaks so when at the range
I wear ear plugs (ear muffs get in my way).

When hunting I like the electronic ear plugs that chop
loud sounds like muzzle blast but allow you to hear normally

I cant hunt with ear plugs or ear muffs (cant hear) so the electronic ear plugs work great.

As others have said deep crowns CAN cause accuracy problems.

I like to crown .060 deep, cut away from bore 90o and then
11o out.

The 11 degree angle seems quieter and minimizes turbulence
as the bullet exits.

What ever you decide protect your ears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

J E CUSTOM

Several folks have used 6 to 12 inch long "bloop tubes" on long range .308 Win. rifles with aperture sights so the front sight can be seen clearer; been happening for many years. Their inside diameter is about 3/4ths of an inch and attach to the barrel's muzzle with a round clamp. Accuracy has not been effected; they shoot very well indeed. And sound levels behind the muzzle are noticably reduced.

Im working on somthing right now. I have a thread started about a week ago over at predatormasterforums. I dont remember origionally were I got the idea but have spoken to a maker of a barrel tuner and also saw that CPC does backbored barrels. A few of the gun smiths I have contacted in the past have never gotten back to me. Right now i have loaded up to test a 22-250 varmint rifle with reduced loads in the 3000-3500 fps range and 33 gr bullets. The rifle is fitted with a pvc unit that clamps on the barrel with hose clamp and uses a extra long pvc pipe coupler that is aprox 3" long. The big problem I am having it my sound meter only goes up to 126db and all my buds are bussy this weekend as i need someont to read and log the data as I shoot, of course after i confirm the unit doesn't blow to pieces. If you check over at my thread in about a week i will probably have some data to have an idea of how much it lowers the sound level. The next barrel I get will have this done to it with a 3-4 cylinder. It should be legal, but I have also emailed BATF but thay have yet to respond also, espically for my clamp on unit. I think there aslo may be an old thread here that i started.

Over here in the Uk we use sound moderators which really really help,they take away all ther blast you still geg a crack but nothing like what you get without one fitted,You can actually see the strike and hear the hit as a moderator takes nearly all of the flip and recoil out of the gun,at one time we struggled to be allowed to have one but under the health and safety laws to protect your hearing nearly every shooter in the Uk uses one,for an example of there effectivness I fitted one to my 7mm/300 wsm I can have freind stand at the side of me when I shoot it with no ear defenders on thats how good they are,Thet would be perfect for the long range varmint hunter off the bench as you wouldnt need a spotter as you can see the strike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.