Quickload - how accurate is it????

petenz

I've been playing with this for a while now.

It predicts the velocity of my old .270win load to 1fps off my chrono'd average.

my .223 load to also 1fps off my chrono'd average

and my .243 load to exactly my chrono'd average.

How accurate do you find QL to be? How much can you trust the load/pressure data it gives you?

For example apparently I can put 53.8gr of H4350 into a .270 win case, behind a 150gr SST and get 2990fps out of a 24" barrel, while remaining just inside SAAMI max pressure.

Of course one would work up and watch for pressure signs... but how reliable is this sort of data?

petenz,
I find Quickload to be accurate when I tweak the settings with accurate information for my brass (H20 capacity) and seating depth/OAL. For 338 Federal I also had to modify the weighting factor to more closely match reloading manual actual results. For common calibers like 270, 223, 308, etc. the default settings are more likely right on (except for H20 capacity of 308 cases which can vary up to 2.0 grains between different manufacturers). I like Quickload immensely and it is far better info than someone's internet advice in many cases.

+1 Freelunch,

I've used it enough that I trust it to give me starting loads when I use appropriate powders for the caliber. I also tweak the H2O capacity and seating depth to match my loads.

AJ

I use quickload to tell me case fills, presssure and velocity for selecting which powders to try. I use it to decide on starting loads and load increments. I use it to give what velocities I should not exceed becaue of excessive pressure.

I don't just use it to just predict a good load and then use it. Quickload cannot tell what specific load will be accurate in a specific firearm. Quickload does not know about barrel vibration. Quickload does not know about bullet stability. Picking a good load requries shooting tests. Quickload is very good for picking a few poweders which are likely to work well while rejecting hundreds of others.

The OP's post of 1 FPS varition from Quickoad to actual chronograph tests may happen occasionally. My experiences though is that if i just use Quickload's tables for case capacity engraving force, bore friction for factory components 2% velocity variation is typical for "normal" supersonic loads with good case fills. ( ie: +/- 30 fps @ 3000 fps.) That's about the same level of accuracy that load books give. Some cartridges have considerable variation in capacity from the tables, particularly widlcats, antiques, and proprietary (non SAAMI) cartridges.

Quickload works well for predicting the performace of subsonics, for unusual projectles such as very light saboted bullets or plastic projectiles or very heavy projectiles. There are few books which help on those subjects. Quickload is also useful for showing the effect of barrel length, especially because it can be set up to include bore friction in the velocity calculatons.

Unlike loadbooks Quickload gives other useful calculations such as muzzle pressure, bore dwell time, and recoil including the recoil effect of the propellant.

Last edited:
2 things QL offers that loadbooks will never:
- Calibration potential for your powder, barrel, and overall load
- 'What if' Queries to determine best powder for needed velocities, efficiency, and case fill

But it's not what you get with purchase, it's what you do with it that matters..

I have found it to be very accurate when used properly. I do not always enter all of the data needed to make an accurate prediction, but it is always good enough to get a starting load. Since I am going to work the load for accuracy anyway that is close enough.
The feature I prize most is the powder search function. I prefer 95%+ fill rates QL will tell you exactly what powder will give you that fill.
I may blow myself up tomorrow but am so confident using it that I rarely open any of my loading manuals.

Depends completely on the information provided and the cartridge.

From what I can discern, it works well for bolt guns, but not as well for gas guns.

Bill Alexander cautions against its use with the 6.5 Grendel, apparently after having done quite a bit of experimentation trying to get the real world results close to the predicted results.

I use it very cautiously and only as a starting place, not as a fine tuning tool.

Bill

I've ran into some issues with the 7mm STW one example is NOSLER reloading guide max load for 168gr Accubond LR seated at COAL 3.600 76.5gr IMR 7828ssc is way over pressure in the QL by 10,000 PSI yet I'm using 77.2 with no pressure signs even the Lowest load in the NOSLER reloading guide is way over pressure in QL.

ive found the same results with nosler data with a lot of my guns. I want to see jesus just not today. lol that's why I don't use there bullets. berger and sierra most of time embork

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.