Quickload Help?

Autorotate19

I was wondering if someone that has quickload could plug this in for me and see what they get? 7mm rem mag, 168 berger vld, 69 thousands off the lands, 70.7grs of retumbo, rem 9.5 mag primers, win cases, 26" barrel. I dont think I forgot anything. Thanks

If you could provide the actual water case capacity (to water overflow) of your fired cases, and the measured velocities of three different charge weights (they don't have to be the same powder), that would assist in QL producing accurate results.

You still must be responsible to ensure loads are safe in your rifle.....

818886356_gbTs8-X3.jpg

Last edited:
If you could provide <snip> the measured velocities of three different charge weights (they don't have to be the same powder), that would assist in QL producing accurate results.

OK, I gotta ask, how does one use that velocity data to improve the accuracy of QL predictions? I'm asking because I'd really like to know. I use QL all the time and had no idea one could calibrate it to a particular rifle using velocity data. That sounds like a very good technique to know.

Thanks!
Fitch

Fitch

Start pressure and case weighing value are the two variables you can tweak so that a given loading matches up with the QL prediction.

By using several different velocity data points over different charge weights, you can then tweak the case weighing value number and the start pressure charge value to match....ie x grains of x powder equals x velocity....there will be only one combo of the above two variables that will match up over several different data points. So the more velocity data points you have, the better your "match" will be.

Don't change COAL, bullet, primer, temp....just charge weights during your testing.

Remember to take into account bore condition...as a "fouled" barrel will shoot faster then a freshly cleaned one. Most of my rifles need 2-4 "fouling" shots for the velocities to settle down.

I would also ensure your exact case volume in known (by measuring water case capacity to case overflow IAW the QL guide), and to actually measure crown to bolt face barrel length. These two important details can throw you astray.

Temperature, depending on the powder, can be in important variable to record during your testing...generally not from one range session, but if trying to use data recorded from several different range session to match up "your rifle/load" combo to QL. RL25 loaded ammo on the dash with the heater on the way to the range, vs sitting in the ammo box in the back of the truck on the way to the range....not good for testing:)

Good luck!

Fitch

Start pressure and case weighing value are the two variables you can tweak so that a given loading matches up with the QL prediction.

By using several different velocity data points over different charge weights, you can then tweak the case weighing value number and the start pressure charge value to match....ie x grains of x powder equals x velocity....there will be only one combo of the above two variables that will match up over several different data points. So the more velocity data points you have, the better your "match" will be.

I've used start pressure in a gross way to set up powder tables assuming the bullet was jammed into the lands but not to fine tune velocity results. I'd never messed with the Weighting Factor at all. I'll experiment with those to see how it works for me.

I have played with powder models a bit to see if I could improve Lil'Gun in a Hornet but gave up on that. It was getting to be hard to maintain a baseline and I don't really need QuickLOAD for that powder in a Hornet anyway - just fill the case and push a bullet in after it isn't much of an exaggeration. 13.2g is almost level full in the brass.

Thanks.

Don't change COAL, bullet, primer, temp....just charge weights during your testing.

Remember to take into account bore condition...as a "fouled" barrel will shoot faster then a freshly cleaned one. Most of my rifles need 2-4 "fouling" shots for the velocities to settle down.

I would also ensure your exact case volume in known (by measuring water case capacity to case overflow IAW the QL guide), and to actually measure crown to bolt face barrel length. These two important details can throw you astray.

These I knew about. I measure the H2O capacity of all the brass averaged over 5 cases. Different brands can be quite different. Remington and Federal are different enough in my 7-MAG that one requires 0.4g of powder than the other to get the same pressure and velocity in the model - a difference that proves out on the chronograph at the range as well.

Temperature, depending on the powder, can be in important variable to record during your testing...generally not from one range session, but if trying to use data recorded from several different range session to match up "your rifle/load" combo to QL. RL25 loaded ammo on the dash with the heater on the way to the range, vs sitting in the ammo box in the back of the truck on the way to the range....not good for testing:)

Roger that!

Good luck!

Thanks. I'll play around with start pressure and weighting factor to see what I can learn.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.