quick zeroing question

doctordoctor

I have a A-Bolt 300 Win Mag and want to start Long Range shooting. What should be Zero distance? My AR 223 is zeroed at 50/200 yards. Should I zero at 100 or 200? I wanted to shoot at the least 400 plus yards... anything under 400 I can just use my M&P 15 with an Eotech. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

Dr. Bgun)

What scope?

If you're using a standard plex reticle, then zero at 200 or 250. At 250 you will still kill anything closer than that, and it will extend your range a bit making it a "point and shoot" out to 300 yards as your bullet never goes more than 3 inches above or below your line of sight.

If you have a turret, then you can zero wherever you want and just twist for the appropriate range.

Anything after 300 you'll have to start thinking about compensating with either a reticle system or a turret. You're down a foot at 400 yards with a 250 yard zero.

I assume that a "non mildot reticle" is a plex?
Leupold has offered 11 reticles in that scope; you've narrowed it down to 10. :D

I'd sight it in at 250 so you're good to go to 300 without having to think.

Or, as noted previously, you can add a turret. Kenton Industries makes one that installs easily and then you can dial in your elevation for any distance you want. Search on this site for more info about them if you wish.

I have mine sighted in 2" high at 100... depending on load, this is close to zero at 200 (probably just high) and a few inches low at 300. I shoot handloads but depending on what ammo you are shooting, you should be in that ball park. Shoot it off a bench and see where your groups are, I shoot 3 shot groups to measure. That is my hunting zero for 300 WM and several others.

At 400 plus, you'll have to compensate for bullet drop.

If you're dialing turrets, then the original zero doesn't much matter.

You're come-up will be a few less clicks starting from 200 vs from 100.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.