Quick question on pulling bullets

Crazy computer will not print the columns the way I typed them and my edit will not print.

Anyhow, the first column is pressure seating bullets after sizing; second column is seating without re-sizing. Sorry bout that.

Woods/Gene - thanks for your additional work and reports.

(Maybe I need to learn how to post photos too ... naw, not me! :D)

Phorwath, if I understand Woods correctly, he did his tests without further resizing between pulls. But maybe he did; I sure didn't. Woods....?

I do have a universal seater and a bushing for seating 7mm stuff. Don't see how a case change could make any difference but if you can provide the case I'll try it.

As an aside, let me stress that I only used a single case and bullet for all of my pull tests with FL and neck dies. The bullet was loaded upside down, making it a boat-tail wad cutter but I doubt that made any difference. (?)

Last edited:
Phorwath, if I understand Woods correctly, he did his tests without further resizing between pulls. But maybe he did; I sure didn't. Woods....?

I did resize between tests. IOW, I resized one neck down to .365" ID, seated a bullet, pulled the bullet and it went to ID of .373"

I sized the other case neck to .371" ID with the expander, seated a bullet, pulled the bullet and it went to ID of .373"

I then resized, reseated, repulled and remeasured again with the exact same results except the ID of the case neck sized without the expander took the .366" pin gauge.

Could you try re-seating and re-pulling the bullets several times on one of these cases without resizing them with your re-sizing die? And then comment on case neck ID and as well as any changes in force applied to your press handle? I think that's the more pertinent test here, because that's the state of the brass cartridge case after a fella pulls a bullet and then faces the question of... do I resize the case neck again prior to re-seating the bullet in that case?

I did that 4 times, i.e. seated the bullets without resizing, pulled the bullets and gauged the ID of the neck. Every time the ID returned to .373" and there was no discernible difference in seating or pulling force. I suppose if I did it enough times the neck brass could become work hardened enough to change the ID enough so that it would take another gauge but with one press and screwing in the die and puller alternately, that got old quick.

I did resize between tests. IOW, I resized one neck down to .365" ID, seated a bullet, pulled the bullet and it went to ID of .373"

I did that 4 times, i.e. seated the bullets without resizing, pulled the bullets and gauged the ID of the neck. Every time the ID returned to .373" and there was no discernible difference in seating or pulling force. I suppose if I did it enough times the neck brass could become work hardened enough to change the ID enough so that it would take another gauge but with one press and screwing in the die and puller alternately, that got old quick.

OK, thanks. I wasn't sure. It sounded like you resized the case, seated a bullet, and then pulled the bullet, taking measurements after resizing, and after pulling.

I didn't understand that after resizing the initial time that you seated and pulled the bullet four consecutive times with no additional case neck resizing through the resizing die.

Phorwath,
I do have a universal seater and a bushing for seating 7mm stuff. Don't see how a case change could make any difference but if you can provide the case I'll try it.

Consistent with our Private Messages, I'll send you one or two of my cases as soon as I'm ready to cull some due to impending case head separation.

If you experience reduced press handle force with my cases, then the best explanation I could think of would be different brass yield strength in my cases versus the ones you tried. I do anneal my case necks, and the differing yield strength of the brass at the case neck location could be responsible for our differing conclusions.

If you experience no change in press handle force with my cases, then maybe I need to shake my head and let the sap run out? :) Or maybe I should try it left handed... except my hand wasn't even on the press the 3rd time I seated the bullet.

I'm sorry and not to belabor the point, perhaps I wasn't being clear.

Last night I did the test with resizing between the seating and measuring.

Tonight because you mentioned that a test where the resizing was not in the process would be appropriate, I seated/pulled/measured 4 times without resizing.

If it matters, I think the way this is going, it seems the ID of the neck always returns to .002" less than caliber and (from Gene's tests) there is not a difference in seating pressure after pulling and reseating.

"If it matters, I think the way this is going, it seems the ID of the neck always returns to .002" less than caliber and (from Gene's tests) there is not a difference in seating pressure after pulling and reseating."

Given my .30-06 stuff, the necks returned about 1.2 to 1.5 thou. I did it yesterday with .22-250, the necks returned about .7 thou, outside diameter and perceived pull remaining basically consistant during four cycles (I did enjoy the convienence of having my old Lyman 6 hole Spar-T close by!). Meaning the specific amount of neck springback seems to depend at least somewhat on the actual neck diameter.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.