Quick hi from Cork Ireland

ejg

Just to say hello, been reading on hear for quite a while and enjoying it. I'm into vermin shooting in the summer and from sep to end of feb we do a bit of deer stalking apart from rough shooting.
Managed 3 Sika and two fallow stags this season so far with my roedale sako 308, own carbon stock and my mini moderator.
DSCN1861.jpg

For the foxes a 22-250 Roedale howa with my ultra light carbon stock and a-tec moderator.
ambush.jpg

Best regards
edi

Welcome to Long Range Hunting.

Looks like a good setup you've got there and it sounds like you get to do a lot of either shooting or hunting throughout the year. It's always good to see game, equipment and hunters from other countries.

Thanks for the pics also.

Ejg, Cead Mile Failte-to LRH

Good shooting. I wish we could use moderators here in the "land of the (not-so) free," California.

Thanks for the welcome.
Where I live we have no deer and all shooting is on club lands with the permission of farmers. The club I belong to has a couple hundred square miles and we have about 50 active members. We shoot pheasant, duck, woodcock and snipe in the game season and rabbits,pigeons,crows and foxes outside the season.
For deer we either lease lands off the forestry fellas or lease private lands or just have permission from farmers to shoot there lands.
My deer shooting lands are a bit over an hour away. I prefer to hunt in rougher terrain if possible. We are lucky to have a mild but often wet winter and can therefore be out every weekend.

The moderators will possibly save my hearing as I don't like to plug my ears in the field. I've made several moderators myself. At times we also shoot close to live stock or horses.

regards
edi

Ireland is an amazing country to say the very least. I lived there for 2 years and found the beauty in the people and the land unforgettable. Remembering "flocks" of pheasants running down roads in the country is often remembered this time of year. It wonderful to hear anything good from Ireland.
Top of the mornin to ya!

HI EDI,
Nice pics Edi, i have been living in Australia for 32yrs and am originally from England (Bolton, Lancs). ihave enjoyed longrange hunting for years but not on the scale as some of these guys on the video's. Mostly light vermin rabbits. using .17, .222, 22-250. my pet dear rifle is my Remington 700sps .300 WSM.
I and a mate both built 7mm STW, mine was onthe Ruger No. 1. thats what got me all excited about Extreme precision shooting. I relish in the challenge of building the rifle and working upthe loads to obtain benchrest accuracy with a powerfull centre fire.
my son and i are now setting up a rig based on the Remington MLR in .338 Lapua. i will keep any and all posted on its progress as i start to get sime results. this will include a full description of the rig and the loads.
We in Aussie are not allowed to use moderators, but as you said, its nice to protect your hearing while still being able to hunt.
anyway, gottago, c/ya soon.

Thanks Geekstrap,
pity, the pace in Ireland is getting a bit faster in the last years.
I'll try post a few pics every now and then.

Rob,
took part in a modell aeroplane world championship in Australia in 91, christ a while back. I enjoyed the country and have great memories.

You are not allowed to use moderators, we are lucky if we get a licence for a 308. Very enjoyable to tackle a project with a son. I am concentrating on composite stocks since about 2 years. I've been working with epoxies and advanced fibers since I was a kid and my two sons and myself are now trying to manufacture the ultimate hunting stock in very small quantities. That's the green stock in the second picture. It only fits a SA howa, next up maybe a remmy.

Regards
edi

hey Edi,
yep its great getting the young fella involved and educated in safe and resposible hunting.we are away this weekend pig hunting, we use .270 and 30-06 on dem critters, usually running shots, so it keeps your off hand skills sharp for deer hunting season. we glassing a huge 17 point red stag at the back end of last season and we hope to get him this coming year.
i am really interested though in this extreme long range. i am attracted to the preciseness of the sport as well as i like hard hitting calibres.
have you heard any reports on the Rem MLR?
i think that is a really good move to make the synthetic stocks for the Rem'n action....lots of them.
have seen the dirty dog stocks? they have a cartridge compartment in the butt!! pretty snazzy eh?
regards,
Rob
gun)

Hi Rob,
the main problem with long range shooting we have is that we have no ranges around to test, check or practice. My long range practice is with my 22-250 on crows rabbits and foxes. Next problem is that most deer shooting is done in dusk or low light conditions that wouldn't have enough light for longer shots. We have houses and farms all over the place, which makes it difficult to just go out in a field and fire many shots.
The six stags I shot this year happened to be 110yds head/bipod, 180 yds neck/bipod , 30yds neck free standing, 150yds spine/off friends shoulder, 120yds high heart/bipod and 100yds neck/bipod.
I wouldn't have even had a chance for a long range shot. Now that the doe season has started I'll try out new loads at longer ranges to be prepared.

I've only seen the wild dog stocks on photos, but people in the UK seem very happy with them.
Looks as if Ireland and UK are slowly pushing to make 30cal the upper limit for hunting rifles. So that's it for us and 338.
Hope you had a good piggy hunt, pitty we don't have any in Ireland.

best regards
edi

Hi Edi,
.30 cal sounds great, that means you can use a .30/378 which you can legally shoot with! thats one hard hitting flat shooting calibre especially with 225/250grain projectiles, and you have a fantastic choice of them also.
yes we did ok this w/end with half a dozen pigs each and also trapped four for the pigsty to fatten up for xmas.(I think thats how you spell pigsty?)
My best shot was of the bonnet of the 4WD at around the 400 -450 yds mark with my trusty mk2 Ruger s/s synthetic 30.06.
this rifle shoots MOA and better all day long and never needs re-sighting in. My boy Robbie uses a .270 weatherby Sub - MOA and performs the same.
Sounds like you had a great Deer season and still more to come. do you shoot for meat or for trophy?
we have here in Aus Chital, Fallow, red, Wapiti, Hog, Sambar and Sika, with Red and Fallow being within 1.5 hrs drive from me.
the Red are now declared a pest and have no control on hunting them at the moment, although, i still only hunt them in the rut.
Sometimes (lots of times) i dont shoot them, i just enjoy the stalk.
Anyway, i gotta go.
C' ya.
regs, Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.