quick factory load question

Bigeclipse

I recently got a remington mountain rifle to shoot out to 400 yards at my house... absolute max. I also aquired reloading equipment and will be trying my hand at reloading for the first time this winter (start of a new hobby hopefully).

That being said, I am taking this rifle on a hunting trip this year where shots wont be over 200 yards. So far I have tried two types of ammo in it. Nosler brand with partitions 165 grains and remington core lokt 165 grains. The nosler partitions didnt shoot so well but still acceptable for only 200 yards...it shot 1.5inch group at 100 yards so 1.5MOA about. However, the remington corelokts shot a HALF inch group at 100 yards which was very unexpected with factory loads! So I think I will go with those haha. Here is my question, will the core lokt bullet be fine for deer?...I have seen an occasional bad review for it as far as over expansion and such...and secondly...how much will accuracy change batch to batch? If I get another box of core lokts 165 grains (same exact bullets) can I expect similarish results...at least under 1MOA...maybe change in point of impact as well? I know...I should go out and buy some and shoot them but I am wondering if my search for ammo can be over and simply buy the core lokts until I start reloading or could the next batch shoot TERRIBLE(I am not counting a "bad batch" which can happen from time to time but in general how much will batch to bacth effect accuracy?). I am simply trying to get through this season until I start reloading. Thanks!

Generally speaking you will not see much variation batch-to-batch of factory ammo. This has been my experience with Remington ammo. Their core-lokt bullets do just fine on deer.

Generally speaking you will not see much variation batch-to-batch of factory ammo. This has been my experience with Remington ammo. Their core-lokt bullets do just fine on deer.

thanks for the quick answer. Ive only shot for 3 years now and used my 300WSM with fusions that always seemed pretty consistent, wasnt sure about other factory loads though.

+1, especially going out to 200 yds- any minor variance will have no tangible effect on shot placement. Core-lokts at 1/2 MOA will get it done - I'd be veeeery nervous if I was a deer :D

Good luck in the woods and starting your habit, er I mean hobby this winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.