Quick bedding question, Rem 700

buckbrush

Can someone please steer me in the right direction for bedding in front of the recoil lug on a Rem 700? I recently bedded another 700 and everything turned out great except the area in front of the recoil lug. Here is what happened with the previous attempt. I wrapped a few wraps of electrical tape around the barrel 1" in front of the recoil lug. I bedded ALL areas at once. What happened was the contour of the tape did not match the contour of the barrel channel and some oozed out in front of the tape. Functionally, it is fine but it looks bad (with the barreled action out of the stock) and I am going to remove the ooze with a die grinder. What can be used for a "dam" to keep the bedding compound in a nice straight line about 1" in front of the lug? I've already bedded the receiver; I just need to hit the other area now. I've tried making dams out of plummer's putty and modeling clay but they just end up sticking to the barrel when I remove it while making and preparing the "dam". In addition, wouldn't they bond to the release agent making a mess on the edge anyways? I'm using Devcon and Kiwi Neutral for the compound and release agent.
Thanks.

You have the right idea by grinding the excess back out. I don't wrap the barrel just ahead of the recoil lug. I make sure I have adequate release agent and let the bedding compound ooze forward. Once it's cured and I go back to mill out (clean up) around the magazine box and trigger area then I switch to a ball mill and cut out the ooze in front of the recoil lug. Grinding it away will do the same thing. The barrel is then 100% free floated back to the lug.

When I am bedding a fresh rifle stock, I use hobby clay to make the dam, 2" in front of the lug. That way the first 2" of barrel is supported, and the support is on both sides of the recoil lug. After bedding I just scrape out the clay and trash it, with very little grinding required. I use clay by the mag area also.

This has always worked well for me. My rifles will shoot around 1/2 MOA with their favorite loads or I'll let them go and try something else.

I use the foam backed tape to do this .

It will compress as the barreled action is pressed in the stock and when bedding has cured
it peels up and leaves a perfictly strait finished end.

Just the way I do it.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.