Questions regarding scope/rifle combo

Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate you including the links. I also have a Leupold Leupold MK4 ER/T. Will the incerts take care of the diameter? I guess a better way to ask the question is are these mounts made specifically for the MK 4 or do i need to ascertain the outside diameter?

Generally speaking scopes are 1" or 30mm. MK4's are 30mm where as most of their VX line has 1" tubes. The fun part about choosing rings is getting the height right. If you're not sure of that, you might give Burris a call as they might have a recommendation for you. As an FYI, the rings on my 308 are 'high'. Burris recommended the extra-high but when I mounted the scope with them I found I could go down to the 'high' and the bell of the scope was not yet touching the varmint barrel.

I will give Burris a call just to make sure tthat I can get some rings that prevent the objective diameter of the scope from touching the rail. Thanks!

The customer service guy at Burris was very professional and actually owns the same scope. He recommended a medium height, so thats what I went with. It's already on it's way. I will post some picks of my rig once everything arrives.

Thanks for you service. I would be careful with that load that was suggested. To get started out with, stick with the .308 flavor favorite until you are ready to experiment with loading. 43 to 44 grains of Varget or 42 to 43 grains of Reloader 15 should do the trick. The Reloader 17 loads are very experimental right now and the 208grn A-max is not really ideal at this point in your learning process. Though I will suggest either the 168grn A-max or the 178 A-max. These two bullets and Bergers in the same weight transition into the transonic period better than some others. This is important for those really long shots to 1000+yrds. Good luck and have fun with your new project.

Tank

USMC30,

Welcome to the addiction. :D You indeed have a nice set-up. You might be new in LRH but if your screen name is an indication, you'll be a pro in no time.

Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, thanks for your service to our country.

Ed

Last edited:
Ed/Tank,
Thank you both for your firendly and informative posts. I have definitely been bitten by the long range shooting bug. I have been into IDPA competitive shooting for a few years. This long range stuff is an entirely different animal. Thanks again for the inspiration, I am thinking about starting a thread to show my progress with my new rig. I will keep you guys posted.

Tim

"Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty" 2 Corinthians 3:17 KJV

My gear (Bi pod, rings, scope, etc.) has been trickling in during this past week and it has been fun to bolt everything on. Thanks to all for the advise, the recommendations have been great and I am happy with the quality of the items. Here are some pictures of my rig. I have not sent any rounds down range yet but my trigger finger has been itching me so much that I had to squeeze off 60 +/- 9mm rounds today.

I do have a question regarding ammo and breaking in of my new rifle. I have not paid too much attention to breaking in a new rifle/ pistol in the past but after reading numerous posts on this site, I now realize the importance of breaking in the rifle correctly. I believe I understand the proceedure but I am not sure what to do about ammo. I will be using factory ammo until I am able to load my own. Historically, when I buy a new rifle I simply buy two or thre brands of ammo (different grains) and see how the rifle responds to them. I have found that my others rifles vary with regards to the type of ammo that works the best. For example, I have two 30-06's (both Brownings). Hornady works best in one and Remington works better in the other. With this in mind, I have purchased the following ammo...
  1. Hornady 308 WIN 150 gr SST Interlock
  2. Federal Premium 308 WIN 165 gr
  3. Remington Premier Match 308 WIN 168 gr MATCHKING BTHP
  4. Federal 308 WIN 180 gr. Soft Point
Is the proceedure that I have used in the past acceptable with my Savage 10? I want to get this right and from what I have learned in the small amount of time that I have been learning from LRH there are alot of things that I have been doing incorrectly (including some of the training that I received in the Corps). Any feedback would be much appreciated. As anxious as I am to get to the range, I am reluctant to move forward becase I want to get this thing dialed in right the first time. Thanks again and Semper Fi.

async

async

async

Another you should try if it is available to you is the Black Hills Ammo. The Federal Premium should shoot the best, but not necessarily so. As far as break in, shot 1... clean until a clean patch. Repeat the process for 5 shots. Then go to 3 shot strings and repeat. Then 5, then 10. At that point you should be able to clean with 1 wet and 2 or 3 dry patches.

Don't forget your corp training. You have been taught some of the best shooting skills ever taught on a firing line. Your prone and kneeling positions will be your best taught attributes. Make sure you remember how to use the sling to ensure maximum accuracy. Rifle training is one thing I wish the Army would have focused on when I was in the Service. We didn't get all but a week of rifle training and qualification. I shot expert during practice. The day of qualification it was rainy, foggy, and windy. The 250 and 300 were all but impossible to hit. I still managed a sharp shooter badge.

Tank

Thanks for the confirmation that I am on the right track. I will let you guy's know how my rifle performs. I had a similar experience when I was at Parris Island with bad weather on qualification day and ended up wearing a sharp shooter badge as well. Thankfully, my resere unit was scheduled to go to the range four months after I was attached. I was able to talk my way into the firing line and get my expert badge.

I am thankful for the training I received and have been able to retain most of what I learned. The training at 300 and 500 yd. have been of great value. There is just something about a marine and a M-16 A2 service rifle that cannot be replaced. The modern rifles and optics are impressive but I think I will always be more impressed with a 500 yd shot with iron sights.

Most of my buddies from the marines still shoot. We have traded in our old M-16's for AR-15's and have a good time at the range.

My gear (Bi pod, rings, scope, etc.) has been trickling in during this past week and it has been fun to bolt everything on. Thanks to all for the advise, the recommendations have been great and I am happy with the quality of the items. Here are some pictures of my rig. I have not sent any rounds down range yet but my trigger finger has been itching me so much that I had to squeeze off 60 +/- 9mm rounds today.

I do have a question regarding ammo and breaking in of my new rifle. I have not paid too much attention to breaking in a new rifle/ pistol in the past but after reading numerous posts on this site, I now realize the importance of breaking in the rifle correctly. I believe I understand the proceedure but I am not sure what to do about ammo. I will be using factory ammo until I am able to load my own. Historically, when I buy a new rifle I simply buy two or thre brands of ammo (different grains) and see how the rifle responds to them. I have found that my others rifles vary with regards to the type of ammo that works the best. For example, I have two 30-06's (both Brownings). Hornady works best in one and Remington works better in the other. With this in mind, I have purchased the following ammo...
  1. Hornady 308 WIN 150 gr SST Interlock
  2. Federal Premium 308 WIN 165 gr
  3. Remington Premier Match 308 WIN 168 gr MATCHKING BTHP
  4. Federal 308 WIN 180 gr. Soft Point
Is the proceedure that I have used in the past acceptable with my Savage 10? I want to get this right and from what I have learned in the small amount of time that I have been learning from LRH there are alot of things that I have been doing incorrectly (including some of the training that I received in the Corps). Any feedback would be much appreciated. As anxious as I am to get to the range, I am reluctant to move forward becase I want to get this thing dialed in right the first time. Thanks again and Semper Fi.

async

async

async

Your pics aren't showing up! Can you repost?

Trebark, I am still tryig to get my pictures to upload. Do you know of any other way to achieve this without having a URL?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.