Questions for barrel gurus

Jerry....we're they 3 Groovers?

The most gain was a 3 groove (Over 50 ft/sec) but as a rule the Lilja's
All have been faster than the original barrels with the same load by 25+ ft/sec. 4 and 6 grove barrels also did well. I personally have not seen a measurable increase in the 5 R barrels although some have.

I have looked at many custom barrels with a bore scope and the Lilja's
Have a different finish than other lapped barrels so I attribute the velocity gain to the finish.

Note: I have seen barrels with "Polished looking bores" that didn't do as well and fouled quickly so the finish is important. and of course. the rough finish of factory and non lapped barrels were slower until they hade many rounds through them.

J E CUSTOM

The most gain was a 3 groove (Over 50 ft/sec) but as a rule the Lilja's All have been faster than the original barrels with the same load by 25+ ft/sec. 4 and 6 grove barrels also did well. I personally have not seen a measurable increase in the 5 R barrels although some have. I have looked at many custom barrels with a bore scope and the Lilja's Have a different finish than other lapped barrels so I attribute the velocity gain to the finish. Note: I have seen barrels with "Polished looking bores" that didn't do as well and fouled quickly so the finish is important. and of course. the rough finish of factory and non lapped barrels were slower until they hade many rounds through them. J E CUSTOM

The finish inside a lilja, in my best description, is a grain that travels with the rifling. Its not mirror finish but its not rough either.

However i dont credit this solely for their speed. If you ever recover a bullet from a lilja, the engraving is unlike anything from any other barrel ive ever seen. I think Dan used to grind all his own buttons. Dont know if this is still the case.

P.S. Liljas have had a reputation for blowing up bullets since long before i came into this game.

Last edited:
The most gain was a 3 groove (Over 50 ft/sec) but as a rule the Lilja's
All have been faster than the original barrels with the same load by 25+ ft/sec. 4 and 6 grove barrels also did well. I personally have not seen a measurable increase in the 5 R barrels although some have.

I have looked at many custom barrels with a bore scope and the Lilja's
Have a different finish than other lapped barrels so I attribute the velocity gain to the finish.

Note: I have seen barrels with "Polished looking bores" that didn't do as well and fouled quickly so the finish is important. and of course. the rough finish of factory and non lapped barrels were slower until they hade many rounds through them.

J E CUSTOM

Mine definitely has an excellent finish ...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.