Questions - cleaning solvents/techniques

MN Hunter

All - I am more than your typical shooter - I own a lot of guns and shoot a fair amount - but am no where near the technical expert as many that are on this site - I know the basics but from what I have been reading since joining shows me I have alot to learn. Currently I am cleaning my bores with Barnes solvent - using just a patch + cleaning until the last patch comes out clean - I then run a lightly oiled patch thru the bore, clean up the bolt and action, wipe all metal down with an oiled cloth and into the safe she goes. Periodically I will strip everything down for a deep cleaning. Should I be doing anything different?

Last edited:
I am no expert but I have tried it all and it sounds like your on the right track. I try to stick to what the barrel maker recomends for break in. I do some things now that I did not do when I first started like.

Do you use a BRUSH at all?

Use a bore guide
Use a nylon brush for my copper cleaner
Open a window my wife gets mad

I Have never used barns but it sounds like your good to go and you are going to here a million diffrent things when it comes to barrel cleaning.

When using the Barnes I always turn the shop fan on and wear rubber gloves. I do not use brushes just patches. Always clean from the bolt side not the muzzel. Never run the patch thru more than once. The Barnes cleans copper better than anything else I have found.

Ditch the barnes, and get some Boretech Elliminator. It contains no ammonia is 100% barrel safe and cleans copper out much faster than cr-10.

When I clean a new custom barrel during brake in it takes about 3 patches, 15 minutes apart to get 90% of the copper out. ussually another 3-4 to get the stuborn stuff, with no brushing. It will eat your brass jag, turning the patch blue, so it takes a little bit of reading your patches to know when you got it all out. The borescope dosen't lie.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.