Questions - cleaning solvents/techniques

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MN Hunter, Apr 5, 2009.

1. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Well-Known Member

All - I am more than your typical shooter - I own a lot of guns and shoot a fair amount - but am no where near the technical expert as many that are on this site - I know the basics but from what I have been reading since joining shows me I have alot to learn. Currently I am cleaning my bores with Barnes solvent - using just a patch + cleaning until the last patch comes out clean - I then run a lightly oiled patch thru the bore, clean up the bolt and action, wipe all metal down with an oiled cloth and into the safe she goes. Periodically I will strip everything down for a deep cleaning. Should I be doing anything different?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I am no expert but I have tried it all and it sounds like your on the right track. I try to stick to what the barrel maker recomends for break in. I do some things now that I did not do when I first started like.

Do you use a BRUSH at all?

Use a bore guide
    Use a nylon brush for my copper cleaner
    Open a window my wife gets mad

I Have never used barns but it sounds like your good to go and you are going to here a million diffrent things when it comes to barrel cleaning.

3. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Well-Known Member

When using the Barnes I always turn the shop fan on and wear rubber gloves. I do not use brushes just patches. Always clean from the bolt side not the muzzel. Never run the patch thru more than once. The Barnes cleans copper better than anything else I have found.

4. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Ditch the barnes, and get some Boretech Elliminator. It contains no ammonia is 100% barrel safe and cleans copper out much faster than cr-10.

When I clean a new custom barrel during brake in it takes about 3 patches, 15 minutes apart to get 90% of the copper out. ussually another 3-4 to get the stuborn stuff, with no brushing. It will eat your brass jag, turning the patch blue, so it takes a little bit of reading your patches to know when you got it all out. The borescope dosen't lie.