Question on tumbling

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by chad, Jul 19, 2014.

1. chad

chad Well-Known Member

I use Lyman red tumbling media, what can be done about the red dust? I like how it cleans. Cases come out very clean and shinny. But the dust residue inside I don't like.

2. g0rd0

g0rd0 Well-Known Member

you can just wipe it off or put your brass in a second time with corn cob media.
    I use blue menu walnut kitty litter with spent primers, cleans like a dream but, for the same reason I do need to give it a wipe with a rag or a 30 min. go around with corn cob

3. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Chad, my son uses the walnut lizard litter. With new litter he adds some dryer sheets (bounce brand) and they collect most of the dust before he starts with the brass.

4. digger11

digger11 Well-Known Member

Also toss in a couple dryer sheets from the dollar store.They really seem to help.

5. dsmhero

dsmhero Member

I cut up a dryer sheet into squares and throw them in, seems to help quite a bit.

FYI lizard walnut bedding is much cheaper and then just throw in a capful of NuFinish every other tumbling and you will get super clean brass.

6. chrishatley

chrishatley Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with the red walnut media. I started using treated corn cob media, no more red dust on my cases. I still wipe them off though. It seems to clean just as well.

7. scottishkat

scottishkat Well-Known Member

The used dryer sheets from the clothes dryer work well also rather than nu-finish in walnut shells try a couple of table spoons full of mineral spirits. I was going to go with the thumlers tumbler and stainless pins until I tried the mineral spirits. Works really well.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

8. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Every brand of corncob media I've used left dust on/in the cases. I just wipe them down when I seperate them after tumbling.

Also, for the money, I've found that I like the Frankford Arsenal 15lb. bag of corncob media mixed with Frankford's brass polish that I put in my media.

9. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I use Walnut media purchased from Harbor Freight and a cap or so of NuFinish. Works great and I don't notice any dust.

10. Delaware Devil

Delaware Devil New Member

Hi guys, not here to butt in, (I'm a newbie) but, I use lizzard bedding walnut media from a pet storel it's less expensive than from a gun shop. I've tried all kinds of things to settle the dust and have found that any metal polish works, and gets the brass shiny. The car waxes didn't seem to clean the shells as well because it had no abrasive in it. I only use the tumbler to shine the brass now. The actual cleaning I now do with an ultrasonic cleaner from Frankford Arsenal. Was on sale at Walmart dot com for 80 bucks. broke my heart when I saw it on sale at Midway for 50 bucks. The sonic, plus the tumbler make my brass look better than new,