Question on the Vortex Viper PST

bassin93

Last week I bought a new 6x24 PST. My rifle has a 40 moa NF base. With the turret turned bottomed out I am still 10 moa to high. I thought about going to a 20 moa which in theory should put me ten moa from bottoming out, but, with the turret at ten moa from the bottom, looking through the scope you can not see straight through it, by that I mean you can not see to the top edge of the scope (top edge to bottom edge). Looking in from the objective end the opening is oval shaped, and to get a perfectly round and clear view you need to have the turred at almost 24 moa from the bottom which would only give me 40 moa travel up.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Viper PSTs?

My Lupy VX 3 is 4 moa from the bottom and it is still perfect. I do realize the vortex reticle is etched onto the glass and the lupy has a tentioned wire.

Anyone?

Your lucky day! Yes I saw this with my first PST and was not at all happy. It will do the same thing with windage. I sent mine back and Scott at Vortex took a look and called me with the scope in his hand. He said the PST has no internal stop to keep the tube from moving far enough to start cutting off part of the view. This allows more available movement but when you get to the extreme starts to make the view look funny. Nothing wrong with the scope apparently just the way they work. If you go with the 20moa mount you'll be fine. I haven't noticed this problem with any of my 20moa mounts.

really sucks having to stay at least 12 moa from either end to prevent a distorted view. I am thinking this one is going back to where I bought it. definately not impressed. cant get enough travel to get it to a mile. what a bite

Call them and ask about it just to double check but that is what I was told. I've got a second new one just like yours right here and it does the same thing. They are very responsive to customers.

Yes, a 40 MOA base is way too much for that scope. As much as I really like this scope, one of its limitations is travel. If you're doing a bunch of shooting over a mile I'd recommend spending a bit more on a NF or SS 5-20 HD.

The distorted view, as mentioned, is a function of the way the scope is designed. Lots of more expensive scopes will exhibit this as well.

Keep in mind it is only a problem on the low powers. It completely goes away around 8X-10X, so if you want to run around with the scope on 6X at your 100 yd zero with a 20 MOA base, it does pose a real problem as it also seems to make the eye relief a bit funky. But if what you mainly use the scope for is shooting long range on the higher powers, you should never notice it so it shouldn't be a problem.

Jon A, wit a 20 min base how much travel do you still have. I was going to put this on my edge but will now stick with the vx3 8.5 - 25, I have 80 mins of travel up from a 100 yard zero and the 40 moa base.

I am building a 284 imp that will have a 20 moa base on it so I may keep it around for that. thanks, Jeff

Jon A, wit a 20 min base how much travel do you still have. I was going to put this on my edge but will now stick with the vx3 8.5 - 25, I have 80 mins of travel up from a 100 yard zero and the 40 moa base.

I am building a 284 imp that will have a 20 moa base on it so I may keep it around for that. thanks, Jeff

I think you mean 80 with the 40 moa base. The 8.5x25 long range has 94 total. 47 up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.