Question on starting load for .243 win with H4350

Millet

Hi guys,
I'm trying to find data for .243 win with 80 Sierra using H4350. What is the average min. and a safe max. Just need an idea. I was thinkin in the 43 - 45 gr range. Any favorite loads to share with this combination? Thanks in advance :)

I haven't clue what an average start/stop charge may be. What does your loading manual say?

If I gave you my best load and you used it you would be loading for my rifle; you would do yourself a favor by properly developing your own best load.

I reload for multiple .243 actions, multiple .270 win, multiple 7mm RM's and so on. Each action/barrel has it's best load, which differs from one to the other. So what shoots well from anyone of my actions, may not, and probably won't do so from your's. You need to gather some reliable published data from bullet and or powder manufacturer's, and then begin developing your "best load" based on the action you are loading for, certainly not mine.

Being brand new to this forum, I should probably hold my tongue, but it appears you don't have any books. Spend some time researching published data, then pick an appropriate starting charge, and oal for your throat, and begin the development process.

Read up on loading for the .243 win, and then follow a good ladder test to see what groups best, chrony results to expect, and how to read pressures.

And always get your data from a reliable published source, not from an unknown/unpublished source. One of us could unintentionally give you the wrong charge table, or mis-transpose a number, things happen.

MB

Thank for the reply, You guessed right...I don't have a reloading manual and I should get one but for now I'm used the internet. I guess I was kinda confused with a few different load data websites info.
Hodgdon Reloading says: 38.3 min 40.7 max

A few others say 41.5 min to 45.5 max for an 80 gr bullet w/ H4350
Why is that?

I found that there is not a whole lot of info for H4350 powder.

You can usually go to the site of the bullet manufacturer and that of the powder manufacturer and get reloading data, in lieu of the manuals for the bullet. Sierra lists
IMR 4350 39.6 gr for 2800 fps - max 42.2 gr for 3000 fps
This is for 80 gr SBT Blitz, 85 gr SPT, and 85 gr HPBT.
Barrel length 22" 1 x 9 1/8 twist

H4350 is a little slower than IMR 4350, so start at 39 gr or so and work up.

Manual are good but they do not all use the same powder, and different test fire guns or in most cases barrels, in different lengths. The on line Hodgen Powder site (http://hodgdon.com/)has a lot of good information and the ability to compare different powders side by side. Has Starting and max loads for all the powders. Don't get stuck on H4350, take a look at H414, & Hybrid 100V. Both shoot really well in the (2) 243 rifles I have. Both are much faster than H4350. I almost forgot Varget, Begin at the starting loads work your way up, take the best one and move the bullet seating depth. If you start around .010 off, work your way out, most of the time there will be a large difference in group size when you hit the sweet spot. If your not finding what you want, look at the 85 & 87 grain selection. I have better results with the 85&87. Good Luck & Happy shootinggun)

Thanks for helping this green horn out:) Yes, I had been using H414 with pretty good results but then H4350 came on the shelf so I decided I'll use that being it does better with temp changes. I guess I'll start with 39 gr and work up till pressure shows. Thanks a lot

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.