Question on Remington 700 PSS

Porter

Hey everyone,
My friend has a Rem 700 PSS in 308 that he bought about 7 years ago That I am thinking about buying. I was wondering what the overall opinion of this rifle was. I have read that the throat is a little to long. Can that be fixed with a different barrel? What kind of accuracy do you think I could get out of it and what would I need to do to get it? Also what is a fair pice for this rifle? Thanks for your help.

Porter gun)

I bought the same type of rifle/caliber a year ago and was very satisfied with it. With handloads I was able to get groups from .2 to .6 MOA (various bullets and powders). I'm not sure if they are all made with a long throat (considering manufactures want to cover their butts, they probably did), but mine had a long free bore. I was seating some bullet with a COAL out to 3.15", too long to magazine feed and the bullets were kissing the lands. You can rebarrel it, which is usually a good choice because you get a better quality barrel and can have it reamed to your specs of what you want, or you can just re-ream the barrel which will take an inch or two off the length and shorten the free bore.

I just shot my factory barrel out to get the most of it and now I'm rechambering it to a different cartidge. Which is something you can look into later.

As for the value, if you can find them they usually run around $600-800 in that caliber that I have seen, this is just for bare rifle. If it has accessories, as mine did, the price will be higher.

As for work to it, I would suggest pillar and glass bedding, a new lighter trigger, trueing the action, and completely free floating the barrel (if it isn't already).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.