question on cleaning rod guides

jmbn

I've got a 270 WSM being made up on a Ruger single shot and started thinking on making up a rod guide since no one makes one in that combo.

I measured my guide for my 223 which is on a Sako action and found to my surprise that the hole is .250", which is obviously larger than the bore size. What good is it? I assumed that the hole should be the same size or even a touch smaller than the bore size to keep the rod from chafing on the ends of the lands. Apparently this is not the case.

Anyone have any comments on this?

jmbn

I understand, Sinclair would probably make you one to your specs if you ask. But I wouldn't worry too much, once the patch or brush touches the neck your rod should center. Just be sure to use a coated rod and go easy.
db

[ 11-23-2003: Message edited by: dbhostler ]

Yea,

A 224 bore brush is quite a lot larger than 224 or it wouldn't brush much. A Jag is usually covered by a patch. Like said above, use a nice rod and don't worry about it too much.

About the only thing I don't like doing is taking a 22 rod and putting a 30 jag on it. When it comes back in the muzzle, it hits pretty good on the crown. Not that I mind too much, but sooner or later, that can't be good.

I have a 30 cal guide that's a little tight and getting a brush in is sometimes hard. I may bend a new brush trying to get it to start. If I had a drill long enough, I'd drill it out.

I do prefer the Delrin ones like from sinclair with the integral solvent port and o-ring. They're much nicer than the "bolt" style for me.

Thanks for the input. My guides are Sinclair also, and I just looked at my guide for my 270's. My Micrometer is at work, but the 270 guide looks like a good bit larger than .270.

I think I'll make one for the new .270 out of nylon on a lathe, and drill it to .270 and see what happens. I'll put an O ring groove in it like the Sinclairs.

I have an old 22-250 that dates back to the early 60's, back when it was a wildcat, and I've never used a guide on it. Doesn't shoot like it used to, tho, but then neither do I!

jmbn

At .270 it'll really be tight. Your grooves are at .277 now and the brush is bigger. It's gonna stick in the plastic a ton more than in the barrel.

jmbn--
I would think you'd want to drill it to at least .290", or the brush and jag/patch combo isn't going to fit thru the guide...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.