Question for USED Glass, Leupod, Bushnell, Vortex

youngtrout

Well, I already know the new sticker price is not in the cards for optics for my new rifle. I don't mind used at all, but wanted opinions on a few scopes, I've read a ton of past posts but still just can't make my mind up. You can find good and bad reviews of every scope out there.

My main requirements in this scope is that it needs to have repeatable and accurate turrets, going to start dialing all my elvation and windage with the new stick. It's going on a 7saum, ranges from 100-800?

I'm pretty narrowed in on three scopes, and ones showing up pretty frequently in classifieds.

Leupold VX-III or VX-3 6.5-20 40or50 These tend to be found used from 550-650 for basic features, regular plex, none target turret scopes.

Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Really do like the looks of this scope, good review of it here on this forum used prices tend to be around 600-700 thats typically the regular turret model. Pros being the mag range and the 30mm tube

Finally the regular Vortex Viper 6.5-20,,,, used is around 300-350,,,

Budget, not totally set in stone, but high end around 700? I do like the look of the new sightron SIII though, but thats starting at 800,,,,,,funny, don't see many SIII used? Wonder why that is

Guess my real question is the leupold and bushnell really 300 bucks more scope than the Vortex?? I've heard a bunch of good stuff on the vortex, with the biggest neg. comment being lack of eye relief., don't think that will be an issue, my 7saum weights 11 pounds but it is un-braked.

Any, commens, good bad, flaming me for starting another , "which one" thread, all good.

And if you have one of the above scopes for sale shoot me some details

Thanks

Vortex makes a **** good scope. Keep in mind, if you buy a used Viper, you get the same warranty that you would if you bought it new. Not sure if the other manufacturers will honor the warranty on a second hand scope .... but Vortex will.

Vortex, Sightron and leupold have warranties that follow who ever owns the scope. So used those are all good bets.

Some of the SIII's can be picked up around $700 @ bigsupplyshop.com

Jon

Well, Leupold and Vortex are going to cover any warranty issues even if you buy used. I don't think Bushnell will. I really like Bushnell scopes but even if you buy new their warranty service can be suspect at times and great at others. If it were me I would probably x out the Bushnell if buying used. Either that or make sure you double verify what their policy is and maybe even get it in writing.

Vortex makes great optics but I don't have personal experience with their Viper line.

Not a big Leupold fan but they make good products.

Not trying to make this more confusing but I personally don't like 6x+ on the low end of the power range. If you are like me and you are going to shoot animals if they are close, even though we love to shoot LR, then you need to be sure you have a wide enough field of view to cover those close running or timber type shots. Also only going to 800 yards or so you sure don't need 20x on the top end either. Maybe this is your preference and that is fine, just thinking you may be able to save some cash and get a smaller, lighter, cheaper scope.

I have a SWFA SS 3-9x40 that I shoot out that far all the time with no issues. It has excellent target turrets with an excellent reputation for repeatability, a nice MIL reticle as a bonus and very nice glass. New you are less than the Leupold you are looking at.

Just a thought.

Scot E.

Bushnell 4.5-30x50

Out of the 3 this would be my choice. Leupold's are overpriced for what you get and the Viper has mediocre glass. Elite 6500 has decent glass and useable power range that doesn't hinder you too much on shorter shots.

If you want a new scope, and German glass that outperforms any of the 3 you mentioned, give Minox a consideration. Schott (Zeiss) glass, either 4-20x50 or 6-30x56 for your magnification requirements and well within your budget especially if you buy a demo unit. I have gone through quite a few scopes in the last few years and Minox is my favorite budget level scope at the moment.

It's going on a 7saum, ranges from 100-800?
Went back to your post to read your shooting range and I'm with Scot on the power range. I feel 6x is way too high for your short range so I would scratch the Leupy and Viper models you were thinking of. I don't care for the Viper but I would rather get their 4-16x model. 4.5-30x Elite 6500 is much more "acceptable" in my books but I personally would go with the 2.5-16x model as I doubt you plan to use 7SAUM for varmint sized game.

If you prefer more magnification on the high end, my two top choices in your price range would then be either the Elite 6500 Tactical 4.5-30x50 or 4-20x50 ZA5. Glass and price advantage goes to the ZA5 but Elite 6500 has features that you might appreciate (tactical turrets, mildot reticle).

I have had both 4.5-30x50 Elite 6500 and Minox ZA5 6-30x56 go through my hands but those have been for people who hunt birds (grouse, capercaillie, geese etc.) at long distances. Not quite as long as you can do with big game but with a small animals that large magnification comes useful and 6x is acceptable since you have plenty of time to prepare for the shot.

As usual, just my ramblings on the subject. Personal opinion so take it as you wish. :D

Neither Zeiss nor Leica will warranty spotting sopes (probably rifle scopes also) to the second buyer. I had problems with a Zeiss spotter a year after I bought it used. Long story, but it cost me $600 for repairs.

I won't buy any Bushnell again. Some years ago, I bought a new binocular/rangefinder, and as soon as I used it, I could not fine focus the right side. Returned it to Bushnell, they would not repair or replace it, said nothing wrong and returned it to me. I called their Customer Service, told them I own many Bushnell products, and the focus on the binocular does not work. Again, turned me down, even though it was still under warranty. Beware of any Bushnell.

If you want a new scope, and German glass that outperforms any of the 3 you mentioned, give Minox a consideration. Schott (Zeiss) glass, either 4-20x50 or 6-30x56 for your magnification requirements and well within your budget especially if you buy a demo unit. I have gone through quite a few scopes in the last few years and Minox is my favorite budget level scope at the moment.

I was going to recommend the Minox also. I don't know that I would go so far as to say that it outperforms Leupold but it is a lot of glass for the money. I have a ZA-5 4-20X and it's a fantastic scope, it compares very favorably with my MK4 as far as optical performance. Cameraland has great deals on the open box scopes and there was a $50.00 rebate. All in, mine was about $350.00 after rebate.

Bob

I was going to recommend the Minox also. I don't know that I would go so far as to say that it outperforms Leupold but it is a lot of glass for the money. I have a ZA-5 4-20X and it's a fantastic scope, it compares very favorably with my MK4 as far as optical performance.

Aren't those scopes using same glass (VX-III & MK4)? Anyways, while Leupold's are nice scopes you can forget about getting value for the money.

One of the best used scope values currently I think is Kahles. I paid $500 for a very good condition Kahles Helia C 2.5-10x50 on another forum and $600 (after tax) for a demo 1.5-6x42 from SWFA. Optically a big step above Minox and the others mentioned. Not quite Zeiss Victory or Swaro Z6 but those are unfair comparisons for just about any other scope out there (dare I say even S&B).

The scopes you are thinking about are all good scopes. It basically comes down to personal preferance and which one is your favorite. Some only buy a certain brand name ..... period.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I ended up going with the 6500. The final decision for me was the low magnification and the high end too. The 4.5 would serve the close shots and the 30 could help out At the range We will see I guess

Like leupolds but my last vx3 had unreliable turrets, leupold said it was fine. It will keep a zero but it takes 20-30 shots to zero cause the adjustments are hit and miss

Minox, hear great things on the glass, but than reviews online for the mechanics seem iffy

My go to glass for price and hunting scopes I don't dial has been the Nikon monarchs, hold zero, clear glass. I also have a zeiss conquest 4.4-14 and it's my favorite so far, I'll put the bushnell up to that one and let you know what I think. The zeiss box tested great, was just looking for more mag for this gun

Looked through the viper in a store, seems decent too.

Hope the 6500 works out, I'll post my first box test with it, thanks for all the input

Hope the 6500 works out, I'll post my first box test with it, thanks for all the input
It's a nice scope! I am contemplating getting one for my .223 varmint rig that had a Viper PST previously. Rest of my scopes on my personal rifles are Zeiss Victories, Kahles Helia's and Minox'es so no crap gets put on them. It's between the 6-30x56 Minox and the Elite and I think Elite is getting the nod because of the low end magnification and it is slightly easier to get the target on your sights. Wouldn't mind a 56mm objective but I can live with a 50mm.

Did you get the tactical version? Used or new? I think new runs from $650 to $750 either with tactical or hunting turrets. Definitely not a bad price for a scope like that. I just wish I could get it in FFP and with similar MRAD reticle that the Viper PST has, those are the things I mostly miss on the PST.

The only warning I will throw out about the 6500 is once you get past 20X it becomes very hard to adjust for parallax. I bought one and ended up trading it out for that reason. It's a nice thought to have that range of power but It did not really seem to work with the 6500 IMO.

I know Weaver was not mentioned but should be.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.