Question for the hunting folk out there.

Firearrow

I am waiting for the rest of my order from Sinclar to arrive, and I want to ask a question to everyone who shoots long range for hunting. I read the two articles about Precision Handloading. What are you guys out there doing for your hunting rifles that are not 5000.00 custom rifles? The two articles that I read were easy to read, and very informative, but I think (new to the game with very minimal experience so don't out cast me) that some of the steps were a bit over kill for a hunting rifle that wants to shoot out to 500-600yard, and there lyes the question. Is this what every one who wants to be serious about long distance hunting should be doing? I loved the read, and the science behind the "Pricision Reloading", and I just don't want to be taking steps that might be a waist of time for rounds that will be magazine fead, out of a slightly modified Remington 700 (300 mag).

Second any comments about my future load. Winchester brass, Berger 190, H4831sc. Waiting for my stuff in the mail, so will work the load up. But this is the plan.

Thanks for in put.

Garett

I have learned over time that only a few people out of hundreds will go through the steps, proceedures, pains, expence and practise it takes to shoot past 500 yards consistantly and precisely. It is a great sport but it takes a firm comitment.

To answer your question. Yes. I load for a factory barreled 300 win sendero I set up foe a friend. I give each round the same precision I do for my longest range custom. If each round is not as close to the same in every way posible, how can we expect them to all land in the same spot?

Jeff

The more I thought about it, the more I knew the answer would be yes. Well at the very least, I will have something to do on a sunday, if the boss isn't on my case. :D

500 to 600 yards isn't nothing to sneeze at, but you really don't need to be as exacting as someone shooting over 1000 yards. Especially if the 600 yard shooter is hunting game with a large kill zone.

I am only taking the steps most short range shooters do, (neck size with the lee collet sizer, and anneal brass every so often.) The last time I tried, I got 2.25 to 2.5" groups at 400 yards depending on the bullet used. I have a $450 Howa 30-06, that price includes the scope; and I was using the cheapest bullets I could find.

I got groups around 5 inches at 600 yards. Even though that is smaller than a deer kill zone, I'm not confident enough to place a cold bore shot in the right spot to DRT kill a deer at 600. Now at 400 I can cold bore shoot a 3 inch target 66% of the time and deer sized kill zone at 100%.

There is a lot more to it after 300 yards than just having relatively consistent cartridges.

Last edited:
This is all starting to make more sence now. lightbulb Maybe I should have said that I will be building up to shooting out to 500ish yards, after a lot of practice, while I practice different techniques in reloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.