Question for S1

Everything under the sun has kept me from shooting for a month or more now it seems. My dads well pump quit working, had to set another one in the new well and hook up a new psi tank too, rain, replace the wifes CD burner, get a friends three wheeler out of impound because he got a DWI, take care of some personal things for him too, sheetrock dads garage, Christmas shopping, flat tire x2 in one week, oil funace loosing prime... still fixing that, and several other things I know I'm forgetting too. Did I mention the wind is blowing about 40 right now?
smile.gif

I'll get out soon now probably after Christmas though. The R2 should work out well with the 300 Ultra but I think I'll need a bit more speed out of it, we'll see how it prints out to 1000 and I'll know for sure.

Here's that chart I was refering to earlier. You can't see the 1 mph lines on the smaller pics but the larger one shows up well.

Find the wind direction on the chart and the speed ring that intersects with it, from that point draw a straight line down to the 3 or 9 o'clock line, count the rings to get the actual full value CWC at this point. From this you might understand what I was refering to earlier a little better.
smile.gif

fce6ce19.jpg

fce6cf19.jpg

Hi S1, Regarding your 5-5-15-20-30 rule. I know this seems painfully obvious but I want to make sure. The specific numbers you listed were for 1/4 of the clock face. Just apply those numbers to the rest of the face in the correct place.Right? Please don't say something like add 5 for a head wind and subtract for a tail wind.The formula seems very uncomplicated as it is,for me that is a good thing.

S1
What program do you use for your calculations for elevation and windage at home? In the field after you have determined the distance wind direction and velocity in the field what do you use for your calculating the proper elevation and windage adjustments do you use a computer program or a pre made drop chart?

Crow Mag

S1, may I ask why those numbers? They don't correlate with the vector components of the wind velocity: a 10:30 wind is a 45º wind, and sin 45º = cos 45º = 0.707, a not 75%.
Thanks in advance.

S1, In your first post, this thread, you said the .308 will not fly beyond 1100 yds with conventional bullet technology. Please clarify that. I don't have the publication within reach at the moment but the first member of the 2000 yd club in the Varmint Hunters Assn. used a .308 with 190 gr bullet as I recall. Will get the particulars shortly. Do you mean by chance, with consistant accuracy? In days gone by the Army told me the max effective range of the mini-gun was 1100 meters. It worked for me.

Thanks

S1, could you give us some more info. on the unit that you and your friend are building (size,when available, it`s capabilities, and cost)?
thanks, Warren

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.